Inconsistent or "Rotating" Video Feeds in Meetings

Brass Contributor

We're regularly experiencing inconsistent & “flip flopping” participant video feeds in some Teams meetings, and have yet to identify what's consistent about the problematic meetings. None of the meetings are large (perhaps 6-12 participants).

What happens:

• only 3-4 video feeds seem able to be active at the same time (even though all cameras are ON, and view is in GALLERY mode) – all others appear as initials only or even just a black box
  • if a “blanked” participant either starts talking OR starts sharing, their video feed comes back, but someone else's then reverts to initials/black
  • anecdotally, it seems like the participants who are the LEAST active/chatty are the ones that get “superseded” or “dropped off” into an initials-only pane

I’ve found a few old, similar references without a particular cause or solution - and of course there are at least a thousand things that can affect video streaming, with bandwidth/connectivity at the top of the list – but the behavior is consistent enough that I'm wondering if others are currently experiencing the same thing and/or have found a solution? (or at least a definitive reason to why this happens?)

6 Replies
ADDED NOTE: switching to "together" view always shows ALL video feeds for all users - but as soon as a participant goes back to GALLERY view, at least a couple of the active camera feeds revert back to just displaying the participant initials.

@SW-SoCo2 Are you using a VDI solution, Citrix, VMWare or WVD ? 

No - the end user devices are either laptops or desktops... currently looking at all kinds of details/specs to see if there's a "lowest common denominator" somewhere that might be affecting all - but haven't found anything yet :\

@SW-SoCo2 The behaviour you describe is how Teams used to behave about 4 years go, there was a limit of 4 videos on screen. A long time back now that became 3x3, then we got large gallery view that goes to 7x7.

The only reason I can think that the old limit would apply is if you are using an old version of the client, or the current client on a platform like Linux or a VDI platform where it's still limited to a 2x2 grid.

Interesting - some Teams history I didn't know! I'll verify the client version for all attendees again. Thanks for the suggestion.
This is an older post that pretty much describes exactly what we're experiencing, and I don't see anything definitive in this earlier thread:
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-teams/participants-not-showing-up-on-camera-but-cam...