Importing an existing Class Notebook to create a new team

Copper Contributor

Teams is brand new to me.
OneNote with the Class Notebook is not.  I've been using it for a few years.

I'd like to be able to create a Team from my Class Notebook rather than link a Class Notebook to a Team.  Since all of my students are in OneNote through O365 and have access to the Team app through their accounts....it would be way easier to have OneNote create the Team using my pre-existing contacts in OneNote and migrate all of the content.

How do I do this - if it is possible?  If it is not possible....can you make it possible?

1 Reply

@MrFoulds 

Please see Set up a Class Notebook in Teams using existing content.

I'd like to be able to create a Team from my Class Notebook rather than link a Class Notebook to a Team.  Since all of my students are in OneNote through O365 and have access to the Team app through their accounts....it would be way easier to have OneNote create the Team using my pre-existing contacts in OneNote and migrate all of the content.

There are many technological reasons why this isn't possible, and I won't bore you with those details. The reason that the Team/Class is the initiator is for security, stability, and infrastructure organizational purposes. When you create a Team/Class, it is stored in a unique and secure Site Collection.  It would be like the chicken coming before the egg.

With that said, if granted the proper access you could script the creation of the Team utilizing a CSV table for assigning user permissions. Here are a couple of example scripts: