Impact of roadmap change on Teams polices

Deleted
Not applicable

Microsoft are continuing to deploy a large number of changes to Microsoft Teams. Some of these feature ship with a default as 'switch on' whilst other changes are 'switched off'

I am trying to confirm the behaviour of changes that relate to the Teams polices both to the org wide (default) and to custom policies.

For example if a new feature in a Teams meeting policy is shipped with a setting on. Will that configuration appear in both the global org wide and also the custom policies.

I have a client that want to freeze the policies once agreed and them only change the configuration after internal approval.

I can understand the global org wide policies being evergreen as they are the default but am concerned that the custom policies may be evergreen too and and if a  feature is shipped switched on by default it will automatically appear in a custom Teams polices rather honouring existing settings.

Its not always easy for an organisation to keep on top of the Microsoft road map and it is also difficult for the Microsoft 365 Admins to know when the new functionality will actually land in their tenant so they can check their custom policies and switch feature off.

Are there any standard rules on the behaviour on custom policies or are the rules set on each roadmap item?

3 Replies

Hi there @Deleted Did you ever get a proper answer to your question or figured it out yourself? Should only be the built-in, such as RestrictedAnonymousAccess that doesn’t update automatically, right? Meaning even custom policies will follow changes with no options, but these will not be changed automatically when you have options to choose from.

@adam deltinger @Chris Webb @Linus Cansby

@Christopher Hoard 

@ChristianBergstrom @Deleted I'm not sure that it been any statement from Microsoft how they do when they implement new settings, but based on previous releases I think if there is a new setting like 1:1 recording that is being introduced in the Calling Policy, then it is off in all policies.

When it is a feature that gets more options, like the chat moderation setting they keep the current option as default. And if it is a completely new feature like when Live Captions was introduced, it will be activated by default.

So, the best way is to keep an eye on the Message Center to see what changes are coming and what default setting they will have.

Hi @Linus Cansby and tack för att du uppmärksammade min @mention :) Then it’s pretty much as I thought, even though no mention of the pre built-in. But I reckon they just stay in the same locked status as always. I’m on parental leave so appreciate you giving input!