Image files being renamed when downloading from conversation

Copper Contributor

We noticed today that if someone uploads a file "filename.jpg" into a Conversation and then another user clicks it to open in the image modal and then hits the download button it is saving the file with a new filename (MicrosoftTeams-image (9).png) and changing it to .png. It's not really a .png so obviously that is causing problems. 

If the file is downloaded via right click and download from the conversation, or through the Files tab, it's OK.

9 Replies
I have the exact same problem. Very annoying
I have the same issue. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't happen, but no indication of how to choose. A while ago, downloading from the preview of the image changed it to MicrosoftTeams-image, while selecting the three dots on the file in the conversation and selection dowload file there kept the original name and file type, but this is no longer the case...

Insanely annoying.
Hello, I am currently facing the same problem in Teams. Did you find any resolution for that? Thank you!

@MartinSebek_ No, it was never resolved and we just work around it.

@BB-SPDev Same here, when will MS fix that? On the MacOs app, the file is always renamed. Very annoying and counter productive. Also, we can't choose the folder where the file is saved. 

Microsoft please fix this and stop wasting our precious time... :folded_hands:

Same problem here, very disruptive. Still not fixed in Jan 2022. All on the most recent version of Teams.

@jfoster2 I've run into this very thing. I figured out if I click on the image and then try to download it will rename it. However, if I right-click on the image in the message and choose Download it retains the original name of the file. This is what the menu looks like where it works. I've also found Open in Browser will retain the name to download too.

soulwake_0-1649277194659.png

@soulwake "right-click on the image in the message and choose Download it retains the original name of the file"

Oh you're a life-saver! I had tried to find a workaround early on but found none, and now that right-clicking and downloading there works as expected, at least there's a reasonably painless workaround!!

Thank you for sharing. Hope this long-standing bug eventually gets resolved!

BRILLIANT! THANK YOU! This should be marked as the answer.