I need to restore Team message or Teams chat from a user who left our company

Super Contributor

Hello Teams Community,

Please I need your help.

We are trying to restore a teams chat or messages for a particular user who resigned from our company on the 12th of February 2020. 

This user resigned from our company on the 12th of February and her account was disabled on the 13th of February 2022.

So we were asked to get some data from the user's teams chat, so i went back to enable the account yesterday and assigned some licenses.

But unfortunately when we login to the user's account on Teams it was looking like a new account and we cant restore the teams messages or teams chat.

Ini_0-1647617072614.png

We already have a policy to delete teams chat after 30days so i dont know if the policy has deleted the messages. 

Please is there a way to restore the teams chat or messages for this user. 

3 Replies
No, but if you need to see the chat messages you can, assuming you have retention and have the mailbox of the user still. You can use compliance search and search the mailbox for the Teams chat messages there.
Thank you for your reply.

Please can you share with me how to use compliance search to search the mailbox for the teams chat messages. Is there any microsoft documentation