SOLVED

I need separate Teams environments

Copper Contributor

I like Teams.  However, I am a consultant, and member of Teams in a major client corporation.  Now I am considering Teams for other venues, such as other clients, or clubs, etc.  I am concerned that all the Teams seems to access each  other.  Is there no way to have separate environments, so that no member of one environment's  teams can possibly access a team in a different environment?  If there is a way to create this separation, how can I do it?

6 Replies
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution
Hi!
If you have different organizations Etc they should probably be in different tenants. One for each. That way there’s no access between them more than federation and guest access if needed!
By keeping them separated by Teams alone, you can keep files and chats separated by permission and private teams. all users will be in the same directory, belong to the same org. You can disable private chat, use information barriers etc but I suggest you think this over.

Adam
Hi Adam. I think you understand my problem. I frankly do not know what tenants are -- can you direct me to info? The corporate clients have their own servers, but I am home office and located, so no server here.
Thanks so much for your attention.,
Cheers,
Erid

Hello @ericmca1735   A tenant is another name for a unique organization so it's not about having a server.  If you work from home, you can still be a member of your employer's tenant, for example.  Client A would have its own tenant, Client B its own, etc.  There is a ton of resource material online but you can start with this:  https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/what-is-a-tenant/

Hope this gets you started in the right direction....

Hello, @ThereseSolimeno !

Thank you very much -- this indeed did get me started in the right direction, and helped me figure out "tenants".  I really appreciate it!

I am still wondering how the connections are saved.  I use the Chrome browser usually, and have accessed a client's TEAMS using that.  Now, when I try to log in as a different tenant, I always get directed to that client and cannot go elsewhere.  Whereas, if I use a different browser (Edge), I can log in to my own TEAMS and don't see the client.  Is there someway to break the connection on the browsers so I could use one browser for either (separate) tenant?

I don't mean to push you into more work, I appreciate your answer fully!  Just ignore this griping unless there is a really easy obvious and short-winded solution !

Cheers,

Eric 

Hi @ericmca1735   I'm not exactly sure of the issue but I've heard of a couple things to try:

1. Log out of each tenant and log back each time you want to make the switch

2. Use an in-private browser

Let's see if @adam deltinger or anyone in the community have suggestions - they are much more knowledgeable about these things than I am!

@ericmca1735   Hi! Easiest way is to use profiles in the browser! In chrome for example, create different profiles for each guest tenant you are a member of. These are isolated environments and you can save credentials for each which makes it really easy to quickly open up a guest tenant or have multiple opened at any given time. There’s also other solutions and even softwares that can help you here. I believe one is called Franz. Do a Bing search ;)

Adam

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution
Hi!
If you have different organizations Etc they should probably be in different tenants. One for each. That way there’s no access between them more than federation and guest access if needed!
By keeping them separated by Teams alone, you can keep files and chats separated by permission and private teams. all users will be in the same directory, belong to the same org. You can disable private chat, use information barriers etc but I suggest you think this over.

Adam

View solution in original post