SOLVED

I cannot create a bullet list anymore in teams chat

Iron Contributor

Hi everyone, would be great if someone can help me. Since recently I cannot add a bullet list in the teams chat anymore. If I add one bullet and then I enter the whole message gets posted. If I do a shift+enter I can go to the next line but then no bullet is being shown. This always worked but from one day to another it doesn't anymore. Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this?

Thanks.

49 Replies
Yes, please fix this @Pernille-Eskebo! It used to work great but then 'broke' a couple weeks ago. I need my bullet lists back!
I am in agreement - it used to let you add items to list with Enter and you could submit the message by hitting Enter twice on the last list item. Now it submits after the first list item which is frustrating.

Workaround is to enable the text edit mode but that is inconvenient (mouse clicks on top of unlearning years of learned behavior).
The new workflow seems to be create the list in single lines and then go back and format it as a bulleted list.
This was killing me today.... please revert to the former behaviour. That being when one is editing a bulleted list, that the enter key serves to create a new bullet
best response confirmed by Therese_Solimeno (Moderator)
Solution
I also noticed this starting this week.

workaround appears to be opening the "format editor" button. The A with the pencil on the bottom left corner of your message. Then the list stays active as you press enter. Of course, now you cannot press enter to send the message...

I'm happy I found this thread. Was about to create a new discussion, because I was looking for something like "behavior change: pressing return within a list will immediately send the message".

I don't see why this has been changed. For me this is a bug and not a "feature suggestion" for Teams Feedback Portal or where should this be posted?

Another agreement to this - I have far too many years of muscle memory for this to unlearn it now, and it was really convenient the old way.
Adding my voice to the chorus. Please fix.

Just add to this as indeed an important feature. Consistency between talking in a "chat" and a "teams" channel is needed. Having the two act different is extremely confusing

Absolutely agree. The fact that it still automatically starts bullets but no longer allows you to continue making bullets without a cumbersome workaround is definitely a bug.

If there were a way to turn this off, or an alternative keyboard shortcut (e.g., alt+enter) then it might be acceptable, though frustrating as I think the previous way was great, but this is just unusable.
OMG... I've been banging my head against the wall trying to figure out what happened. I chat all day long for work and in between chats it started happening. But while in the chat where I noticed this I was typing furiously and my fingers went crazy and hit some bad keys. I thought I hit some odd hotkey that disabled the functionality and I've spent weeks trying to figure out what I did and how to undo it. SOOO glad I came across this thread with other people noticing it to. At least I know it wasn't me SMH
+1000 to this thread, what the heck microsoft
Yup, this is a pain in the arse and a definite step backwards in functionality.

Enabling text mode is a workaround but a workaround shouldn't be required in the first place.

same here... it you used to work really nice, now I keep sending messages with only one list item :facepalm:

@RLesm2021 oddly, I have found that, if you go into format mode (click the "A with pencil" icon) and do a list, then if you go out of format mode... it will work again in regular mode

I did this yesterday and thought maybe it fixed the "bug" that's causing the problem because unordered and ordered lists started working again. But today when I logged in, they weren't working again. But when I went into format mode and did a list again, it now works again in regular mode even after closing the app.

So no idea what's triggering it to work or not work inconsistently now. Not sure what the pattern is. But if you go into format mode and do a list, maybe it will work for you for the rest of the day ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thx, @gmangsxr750 for this useful tip (switch format mode on and off again), works for me!

P.S.: "Have you tried turning it off and on again?" ;)

Same issue experienced with users in my company tenant. Please fix this Microsoft Teams!!

@RLesm2021 

I found this link below 'temporarily providing solution' while hopefully Microsoft revert to the way was (pressing 'enter' once means continuing the bullet list, pressing 'enter' twice means sending the message).

At least the solution in this link allows us to continue the bullet list:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/format-a-message-in-teams-9f7c64e4-0316-472f-b1e8-430cebc...

CTRL + ENTER to then send the message @mgormsen 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Therese_Solimeno (Moderator)
Solution
I also noticed this starting this week.

workaround appears to be opening the "format editor" button. The A with the pencil on the bottom left corner of your message. Then the list stays active as you press enter. Of course, now you cannot press enter to send the message...

View solution in original post