I can't switch from my client guest account back to my main company account

Copper Contributor

I use a Macbook Air, it is completely up to date, Teams App and all. I have tested multiple accounts with Teams and am familiar with the feature that in the Web Browser I can select which account I want to use. In the App I assume this feature hasn't been added for Mac yet. If it has, it isn't appearing in my app. 

My main problem now is that I accepted a Guest invite from my client and their account. I logged in as a guest to their account to both the browser and app, in both there was no option to switch back to my company account. I logged out and both now automatically take me to the client guest account. I asked my client to remove me from their account and when I log in Teams still takes me to the client account, but now I can't see any information in that account and the Post screen hangs. How do I get back to my company account? I can log into my Admin.Teams page, but I can't see from there how you might clear a cache or anything to reset my app.

9 Replies

@pdacademia Hey, this is something they are working on as you can see per the UserVoice request. You can vote on it to stay updated when status changes

https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/17750851-i-want-to-use-multipl...

There's a way to leave an organization but that can only be done if your account isn't removed by the org as stated. I would like to suggest that clear all temp files and/or use "incognito" browser sessions, or InPrivate Window etc. so you're not being redirected automatically.

As for clearing/resetting the Teams desktop app you can wipe all content in this location ~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Teams

Hope it helps!

As I understand you are a guest in that tenant and invited with your own org mail address?

@ChristianBergstrom Thanks for the quick reply. I voted for the feature. Should I delete everything or a particular file in the Application Support / Teams folder?

Yes, I am using my own org email address. Which is also the admin account for my org

@pdacademia Hey, you can be selective as many guides describes. But works just fine deleting all content in the Teams folder.

@ChristianBergstrom I deleted the cookies and caches as a test and it didn't work. The App still tried to load my client's Team. Then I deleted the whole folder and tried and it didn't work and then i deleted the app and it didn't work. Interestingly I can get into the browser version of my account now and in the top right corner I see both organizations. If i try to access the client account it gets stuck again, there is no way to force it back with out logging out.So browser works but App won't let me back into my organization and hangs on the clients Team

@pdacademia Hey, 1 out of 2 at least ;) Have you tried a complete removal of the Teams desktop app, that is uninstall, reboot, followed by reinstall as well? Is it possible for you to try the desktop app on another computer?

@ChristianBergstrom Firstly, thank you for working through this with me, it felt great to be supported. I was so angry yesterday i forgot to check my other laptop. The Mac App for my backup laptop logs into my org. Today I tried to remove the Teams app from my main laptop, restart and reinstall fresh and it still would start up trying to access my client's org. I asked my client to readd me. 

Something I noticed yesterday but didn't think much about is that every time I log in I get a prompt to either log in from an administrator created account or my private account. Different problems happen when ever I opt for one or the other. For instance, if I try to log into this tech community selecting the administrator created account I can't access this Blog. If I use my personal account, which is what i assume I originally started with, then I can access this blog. The email address and the password are the same for both options, but somehow Microsoft distinguishes between the type of login, despite the account info being the same. BUT, to even get that option I need to clear the cache and cookies or else it logs into the last selected preference automatically. This is a problem because for my Teams org account and the Admin.teams login, they respond to different options.

So, I decided to log into my Teams account on my main laptop with the Administrator option and this time it worked. Previously I always used the personal option. As you can see in the screen shots, when i am in my org, I have an option to switch between my org and my clients org. When I am logged into the client org team, I don't have an option. This and the two login options are a massive issue. The work around, I need to log out, clear cache and cookies and always make sure I log in selecting the administrator or personal account option depending if it is Techcommunity, Teams, Admin.teams, MS 365...THIS IS WHY I AM A MAC USER

@pdacademia I hear you. It's frustrating of course. Hopefully they will sort the multi-account functionality out in the near future (with reference to the previous UserVoice link) using the desktop and web clients as well.