How to tell when an Office 365 Mail User is able to receive voicemail

Copper Contributor

I'm having trouble determining what items in Office 365 are capable of receiving voicemail. Lately, we've had a few issues where our Microsoft Teams Dial By Name Auto Attendant has been sending voicemails to distribution lists - so that multiple people are receiving voicemails. I know in Team's user settings there is the hostedVoicemail attribute, however, it appears that items that do NOT have a phone system license are able to receive voicemail. I'm curious if anyone has run into this issue. I know that Unified Groups are supposed to be able to accept voicemails.. but my issue has been with DirSync'ed distribution lists from on premise that are receiving voicemails as well. Hoping someone might know a powershell command and an attribute to show me what items are capable of receiving voicemail. Thanks! 

2 Replies
Hello Stano
FYI, recently, Microsoft has clarified that a Teams Phone license is not required for the voicemail functionality to be provisioned

"For Teams users, Cloud Voicemail is automatically set up and provisioned. A Microsoft Teams Phone license is not required for Cloud Voicemail."

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/set-up-phone-system-voicemail

Can you detail how is your AA configured? how are the DLs receiving the email with the voicemail? (as it is essentially an email with an audio attachment)
The Auto Attendant is using Dial By Name directory search and Enabled Voice Inputs. My understanding is that any Unified Group (those with a Teams component) and any Teams users would be able to receive voicemails. However, it appears like most things in my directory are voicemail enabled now. I guess my real question is how can I turn this voicemail component OFF? I have setup exclusion groups on my auto attendant to restrict it as well.