SOLVED

How to Prevent Teams from Auto-Launch

Brass Contributor

Hi guys,

I plan to deploy Teams in my company, and there's a headache.

I don't want Teams auto launches when system starts, and when I install it, I use this script:

msiexec /i "%temp%\Teams_windows_x64.msi" /QN OPTIONS="noAutoStart=true"
It works, and after a reboot, Teams icon appears on desktop but Teams doesn't launch.
And I double-click the icon to start this app, then close it, and then restart my laptop, Teams auto launched, and I found the registry item:
Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Value: com.squirrel.Teams.Teams
Data: %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Teams\Update.exe --processStart "Teams.exe" --process-start-args "--system-initiated"

My Question is:
Is there a way to set "auto-start application" is uncheched as default option?

Thank you in advance. :)
46 Replies
The GPO works great @MrJoshua ! Thanks for the information, I was so tired of teams on ever station and having to go in and disable on each user

@Christopher Hoard, I think you are correct that in the main, business leaders would prefer that deployed MS Team installations auto-start forcing users to interact with the application. However Microsoft is once again forgetting history and missing a trick by NOT giving MS Teams users a choice to prevent auto-start. The "illusion of choice" is better than "no choice" at all, so auto-start a stub instead of the full app with it's plugins and extensions. My main workstation is a dual boot Mac for software development and production. We use Teams for remote meetings once a week, so I don't require it auto-starting every time I swap OSes daily. MS Teams establishes the auto-start automatically and even reestablishes auto-start when previously removed, just like a virus. This is poor form on Microsoft's part.

@chenrylee 

There is this option using PowerShell for the user to edit the XML configuration

Configuring Startup Settings in Microsoft Teams with Windows PowerShell | Scripting Blog

Hello,
I found the fix by mistake,
In my case, not all users migrated to Teams, some of them just use it for external invites.
For this users, that use S4B for all, meetings or IM; the status in Outlook was taken by Teams, leading to confusion to many of them. They were not busy or meeting when they really were.

The Option in the cloud with that option centralized is missing, I hope it comes soon:)

The only thing I did was create a new User config GPO updating the registry key:
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\IM Providers DefaultIMApp=lync

But if you would type "Lync" with L capital, as I found if different posts ,it wont work ;( Teams will overwrite the value to "Teams" every time.

With this workaround, the options in Teams settings: "Auto-start" and "Use Teams as default app.." are not making any difference to the registry. I cannot explain it but It works.

regards
What a ridiculous suggestion. People use their computer the way they want. You're just as bad as those who ask "Why would you want to do that???" Because I have a want or requirement to do so!! I personally believe NOTHING should auto-start. Do you want all office application to auto-start? If not, then you should just use the web version...right?? with this mind-set; just use a Chrome Book, that way everything is the web version. please.......just because you like something, that doesn't mean everyone else is wrong.
That's fine for individuals, but when you manage over eight THOUSAND computers, that's not really an option. And if all eight thousand are ALWAYS connected to teams, an organization can run out of bandwidth pretty quickly, especially if they all have cameras. Think before you decide what the "Best" solution is.
I used this article to disable autostart for Teams enterprise application: https://whackasstech.com/microsoft/msintune/how-to-disable-microsoft-teams-auto-start-with-microsoft...