SOLVED

How to Prevent Teams from Auto-Launch

Brass Contributor

Hi guys,

I plan to deploy Teams in my company, and there's a headache.

I don't want Teams auto launches when system starts, and when I install it, I use this script:

msiexec /i "%temp%\Teams_windows_x64.msi" /QN OPTIONS="noAutoStart=true"
It works, and after a reboot, Teams icon appears on desktop but Teams doesn't launch.
And I double-click the icon to start this app, then close it, and then restart my laptop, Teams auto launched, and I found the registry item:
Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Value: com.squirrel.Teams.Teams
Data: %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Teams\Update.exe --processStart "Teams.exe" --process-start-args "--system-initiated"

My Question is:
Is there a way to set "auto-start application" is uncheched as default option?

Thank you in advance. :)
46 Replies
That was my concern, not understanding what defined 'launching'. So I tested this and the GPO does stop the auto-launch. However, if a non-licensed Teams user clicks that desktop icon the GPO becomes null and void, and Teams (even in an unlicensed state) will try to start on every consecutive logon. For me that would generate a huge amount of tickets from users that have not been introduced to Teams.

@Robert James Reber 

Are you implementing the GPO that Microsoft Released or the one I posted?

The one that comes with the ADMX from MS HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\office\16.0\teams preventfirstlaunchaterinstall (1)

@Robert James Reber 

Got it.

That's the same issue I found with Microsoft's release. That's why I created the one I posted above.

Create a GPO like this:

• User Configuration >> Preferences >> Windows Settings >> Right Click Registry >> New >> Registry Item
  • Change "Action:" to Delete
  • Change "Hive:" to HKEY_CURRENT_USER
  • Change "Key Path:" to SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
  • Change "Value Name:" to com.squirrel.Teams.Teams

That's a good approach, too.  I blogged about scripting a GPO logoff script to remove the HKCU and modifying the JSON desktop config values here: https://www.undocumented-features.com/2019/08/12/disabling-teams-autostart/

A GP Preference is definitely a solid way to go, too, and pretty clean.

@MrJoshua 

@Christopher Hoard 

Sorry. I am completely at sea. I now get the "Teams" pop-up everytime I start Edge. I do not need nor want "Teams." The two links you provided did not really help me. How can I stop "Teams" from appearing everytime I try to access Edge? Thanks.  oilinvestor13@outlook.com

On July 9, Microsoft released new ADMX template files (4882.1000) to prevent Teams from starting automatically after installation (on every logon) until the user starts the program manually. Instructions can be found here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployoffice/teams-install#use-group-policy-to-prevent-microsoft-te...

GPO name is "Prevent Microsoft Teams from starting automatically after installation" under User Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Microsoft Teams

Correct, I have the GPO in place but I will tell you it does not stop the install from placing a Teams icon on the users desktop. If the user clicks on this they have initiated a start regardless if they are licensed or not. That action nullifies the auto-launch and will auto-launch from that time forward unless you deal with the icon. I am working on applying a scheduled task to delete the Teams.lnk on the users desktop so they are not in this situation. There is another option listed in this thread as well that takes a more programmatic approach. Have a look at that one as well.

@chenrylee we can make use of GPO/intune (if the devices managed by intune) to enable or disable the teams auto startup for users .http://eskonr.com/2018/11/how-to-disable-or-enable-auto-start-of-teams-application-using-gpo/

Thanks,

Eswar

www.eskonr.com

@chenrylee 

Right Click on Teams tray icon, go to settings > General and uncheck "Auto-start application. Please refer attacged screenshot.

clipboard_image_0.png

Hope this helps!

I just open Task Manger and click on the startup tab, then right click on MS Teams an set it to disable. Works on every computer I have done it on.

@MattGrantMaybe there is a way to get defender to classify it as a PUA and delete it during the download process, that would be what one would call symmetry.

To stop Teams from launching automatically, click on Start / Settings / Apps / Startup. Turn off Microsoft Teams. If that doesn't work or if Microsoft Teams is not in that list, sign in to Teams with your business Office 365 email address and password

@alenezi That only works if teams is installed. To test, uninstall it. It will install itself again and run. After that you can, of course, probably disable it in startup. The OP said "His Company" the assumption there is that he is IT and is looking for a solution that does not require all the users to know how to disable startup programs. I personally am quite annoyed at Teams startup spamming all my users at the same time. That was not cool, Microsoft.

There are new ADMX templates for this!! Thanks Microsoft.. :) 

@MrJoshua 

I tried the GPO / Registry delete method, but after a reboot the automatic restart resumes.

Hallo @chenrylee 

Hope all is well :) 

This is one of those interesting topics which app "coulda-woulda-shoulda" part of auto-start and which is not :). I don't think there is any easy-peasy default option to disable the switch. I think its just by design, and am not sure or i won't comment if it's a design flaw. I think Microsoft has deliberately kept it on since the beginning in 2017's end if am not wrong. It is all about how users want the app to behave. Lot of great minds have proposed solutions via script, gpo etc. in their replies which is great.  Appreciate it and it adds to my knowledge base too Thanks to all of them. I have couple of Adoption stories and thru my experience I have worked closely with lots of customers with different mindsets.

for instance

** some people like every daily application to be turned on default, they don't want to click button/icons. JUST POP. LOL.

** some people know their application usage and smart enough to think which apps they want ON by default as the system starts and which can be put on/off on demand. 

** some people just don't want any apps to switch-on at the start... They want system to be in control of them.. and i like it .... HEHE 

I would suggest if you don't mind to do some survey with some of your most trusted PILOTS thru different departments who can give you the honest feedback about the behaviour and usage and that might open up the thoughts to what to put up as a standard policy and implement solution and silent rollout in batches (since we are talking about enterprise rollout) if its not gonna be noisy one.... e.g. you don't want some VP bounce in his/her seat one fine morning when coffee is still hot and yell .. why Teams is not opening by default ... aoouch ... panic button pressed... 

@YadleyB" It is all about how users want the app to behave" Wrong, its about how MS wants the users to behave. It should be up to Management and IT as to what applications are rolled out, MS has diverged with Teams by forcing Teams down everyone's throat whether they want it or not. Those people that want to have everything running automatically when they start their computer have always needed to find a way to do so, why then is Teams the exception? Any administrator can write a GPO to enforce policy, but even admins are having trouble keeping Teams off, if necessary. Ridiculous.

@econcepts  I totally agree. I think it is scandalous how Microsoft is operating here. Forced-installing and forced-autostart is unacceptable for any software house, and I am deeply disappointed in Microsoft for succumbing to the temptation, for instance using AppsData to get around admin rights. I have taken this up with my Account Manager, but the response only showed how completely uninterested is in their actual customers. What I really don't understand is why Google and Facebook get hauled over the coals for less, and Microsoft can get away with this kind of practice. Now Edge is also being autoinstalled and hard set as default browser - I thought they lost that legal battle many years ago with IE, but apparently that has now been forgotten. If anyone from Microsoft is reading and interested, I would welcome a meaningful dialogue.

@chenrylee Just Click Microsoft Teams small icon  in right bellow, click right and choose settings, general, Uncheck AutoStart Application