SOLVED

How to invite additional attendees to a meeting without sending an update to all

Brass Contributor

Hello,

I have a Macbook. I host a big meeting on teams twice a month and there is always at least 1 person who has left the company or another 1 joined. How do I update the meeting invite without sending the update to ALL?

Seems like a simple thing, but cannot see how to do it. I also have Microsoft Outlook, but there is also no option to do it on there.

Thanks everyone!

Jenny

18 Replies
best response confirmed by adam deltinger (MVP)
Solution
Hi @JennySommet

See here

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/office/remove-a-person-from-a-meeting-9bb9230b-a722-43ee-a916-66...

Outlook should be able to do this, if you open up the meeting in Outlook (Desktop) calendar and remove or add attendees then click send update it should give you an option to send update to all, or send the update only to added/deleted attendees. You would pick the latter option.

I would be shocked if Outlook for Mac didn't have this functionality!

Hope that answers your question

Best, Chris

@Christopher Hoard  No it doesn't give me that option - puzzling! I have outlook for Mac version 16.40.

@Christopher Hoard  This was a feature prior one of my last OS updates. It not longer comes up.

@JennySommet 

Hello there is a solution to this:

1. Open the invite in MS Outlook

2. Click on "Scheduling Assistant"

3. Click on the "Add Attendees" button (you can also delete attendees at this step)

4. The Address Book will come up and you can remove names from here and add names including optional attendees

5. Click on the "Send" button

6. The choice will now come up to send to deleted/added attendees or to all attendees.

And that's it. Good Luck.

@Berniebean77 

I have this exact issue as well. Being a MacBook user, I use Mail, Calendar, and Teams but not Outlook.  

If I go to Outlook on the web, there is no option "Scheduling Assistant".

And if I try to forward the invitation, the page hangs.

I have the same problem. I'm unable to stop notifications from going out to existing attendees. It's very annoying and also looks unprofessional.

I feel terrible for spamming people's inboxes,

I am also having this issue. I tried the steps outlined above, to use the Schedule Assist, but the update went to all the meeting attendees anyway. No screen ever popped up asking me if I wanted to send the update only to the new folks. The same thing happens when I forward the calendar event -- it shares it with all the attendees.

In my case, I am not the event organizer and I am using the Outlook desktop application.

Yup, this is the issue. I don't use outlook (desktop). I use the desktop version of Teams to to schedule and join meetings. But it seems the functionality is still very basic (although better than in 2021!).
Using the web version of Outlook is possible - but takes an age to work out where everything is only to discover certain features are not there...

@Vilnius_Nic  UGGGHHHH I'm a MacBook user and I've tried everything. I've used Outlook online via Chrome, I've used MS Teams calendar, I've used apple Calendar, I've used Outlook desktop and anything I've scheduled from my MS email sends meeting updates to ALL - so unprofessional. There must be a workaround. This is so simple and works in my MAC OS environment as long as there is no tie to Microsoft. Come on guys!

I completely agree, I am in the same boat. Being forced to overburden my colleagues inboxes dilutes their attention to my messages. Super disappointing that the desktop Outlook for Mac is so restrictive.

@JennySommet It seems this issue has been resolved. I just added one attendant in the outlook calendar web version (Google Chrome) and pressed "Send". When I checked the outbox of Outlook the calendar invite was only sent to the newly added attendant.

Not yet solved for Teams! I schedule meetings directly from the Teams app. I is quick and easy to check everyone's availability and then to add/delete participants.
I just don't want everyone to be re-invited every time I add/delete another participant. If it now works in Outlook, why cannot it work in Teams?!

Does anyone from Microsoft actually monitor these chats? They would learn a lot and it might help them improve the software!

@JennySommet 

I am having major issues with my outlook (which has recently updated its format as of this week) I can no longer send to added or deleted attendees only (I am on a windows laptop). This is causing major problems - please fix soon Microsoft!!

@ADPHAnnabelCulley I am having the same issue with the 'new version of outlook' on my PC.  I have looked into many forums and they all say to go to the to: line and add an individual and then hit send and it will prompt only send to additional attendees.  The prompt is no longer coming up.  I'm about to use the 'old' outlook as this is unprofessional and frustrating. 

I have a MAC using Outlook, and I just added a person to a group meeting and confirmed that the update was only sent to the new invitee and not the entire invitee list.

It's worked. I tried this method.

@JennySommet You can right-click and use the "Forward' option to share with new invitees...

CJFAR0718_0-1711564297287.png

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by adam deltinger (MVP)
Solution
Hi @JennySommet

See here

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/office/remove-a-person-from-a-meeting-9bb9230b-a722-43ee-a916-66...

Outlook should be able to do this, if you open up the meeting in Outlook (Desktop) calendar and remove or add attendees then click send update it should give you an option to send update to all, or send the update only to added/deleted attendees. You would pick the latter option.

I would be shocked if Outlook for Mac didn't have this functionality!

Hope that answers your question

Best, Chris

View solution in original post