How to find the directory of a file-path from the file?

Copper Contributor

2020-04-17_18-22-38.jpgCan we see the full-directory-path clearly from the file?

I can open this from here but I still can't get to the folder where it stored.

12 Replies
Not at a pc to test but you should be able to click open online. Then in the top area you can click back and I think it brings you into the folder in SharePoint where the document is.

You can technicallly use get link and the sharepoint tab and paste that and remove the file name off the end but that can be messy.

@Chris Webb 

I was sent a link to a file that is nested down a bunch of sub-folders. How do I navigate the folders to find that file? The reason is I was told all the files I need are in that folder.
:(

If you open the document in Teams, on the right side near the Close button, there might be an ellipses (. . .) to click for more options. Click the ellipses and you should see options to "Download" or "Open in SharePoint". Click the option to "Open in SharePoint" and this will take you to the folder in SharePoint where you can see all the other documents listed in that folder.

Open the file in the desktop app and then show the info of the file.

@Glitterbomb 

For those that might still be wondering about this:
Once the file is open, click on the 'down-chevron' next to 'Saved'.

Then click on the folder location...it's really simple (once you know it...:-))

orionis1972_2-1617436030313.png

@Glitterbomb Open file in Browser

Navigate to the file name 

Choose the file name drop down in the excel 

vivekbharathi_0-1619097931404.png

@Chris Webb Here are steps that I used
A lot more long-winded than I like, but it works...

• When the doc is opened in Teams click on the ellipse (...) next to the 'Close' button and pick open in browser.
  • The url in the browser will tell you which Teams/Sharepoint Site it lives in.
  • Go to the relevant SharePoint Site and then pick  the 'Documents' tab (Menu along the left)
  • Then use the Search-bar on top of the page ('Search this Library'). Ideally you must know the name of the doc  (or part of) to do this.
  • When you find the doc in the results, click on the ellipse (…) in front of it and pick 'Details'
  • In the Details column that opens on the right, scroll down till you see 'Path'

@Chris Webb That's all well and great IF told people where "get link" is, and what you mean by "sharepoint tab".

With this information it defeats the purpose of the post. Unless someone in the world knows what you're referring to.

This was years ago before they updated the UI. The get link was in the old screenshot and SharePoint tab is the SharePoint tab in Teams.

Anyway, current way is just click the ... menu by a file then "Copy Link" , make sure the permission option "the option under the link" is set to "People with existing access". This will give you the raw URL link to a file. Otherwise you can use other permission options to get generated links for access based on selection.

@Chris Webb Please see below:

This was years ago before they updated the UI. The get link was in the old screenshot and SharePoint tab is the SharePoint tab in Teams. FYI, No "SharePoint Tab" in my Teams (see image)

for_real_0-1647973618072.png

Anyway, current way is just click the ... menu by a file then "Copy Link" , make sure the permission option "the option under the link" is set to "People with existing access". This will give you the raw URL link to a file. Otherwise you can use other permission options to get generated links for access based on selection. I actually needed to find path for documents in Teams, that I opened.  I'll just have to keep searching, thanks.

Unfortunately, the process by @KevinFrancke is the fastest way to show fullpath of all the examples given. I am sure this has been submitted to TEAMS for consideration. 

I tried this evening with current UI to find the file in teams, open the file (in a browser), select the 2nd hotlink in the location box to browse to the folder containing file on SharePoint, select details for file by clicking ellipse after filename, scrolling down to bottom of popup to Path.

Why the obfuscation of file path in SharePoint folders?   

Missed seeing if this had been mentioned already, but if you go into sharepoint and add a shortcut to your onedrive, it will give you explorer access to the file. @Glitterbomb