SOLVED

How to disable Teams self service creation?

Copper Contributor

Hi Guys,

• Basically we are planning to implement MS Teams governance policies for one of our customer.
  • One of the sub-process will be to disable self-service Teams creation and Teams will be created on request to IT team.
  • But as per my analysis if we have to disable self-service Teams creation within the organization, then we need to disable the ability to create Microsoft 365 groups.
  • Doing so will disable the ability to create groups in all Microsoft 365 services that use groups, including:
    • Outlook
    • SharePoint
    • Yammer
    • Microsoft Teams
    • Microsoft Stream
    • Planner
    • PowerBI
    • Project for the web and Roadmap
  • I want to know is there any possibility to disable Teams creation without affecting any other apps.

2 Replies
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@ranglanimanish90 Yes, that is correct. Disable team creation for some users is managed by disabling Microsoft 365 Group creation.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/microsoft-365/admin/create-groups/manage-creation-of-groups

I don't think it is possible to be able to create Microsoft 365 groups for one service (like Yammer) but disabling creation for another service (like Teams). 

What Linus say, to govern Teams you have to govern Microsoft 365 Groups what means governing them for any other workload that uses Groups (SharePoint Online, Power BI, Planner or Yammer)
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@ranglanimanish90 Yes, that is correct. Disable team creation for some users is managed by disabling Microsoft 365 Group creation.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/microsoft-365/admin/create-groups/manage-creation-of-groups

I don't think it is possible to be able to create Microsoft 365 groups for one service (like Yammer) but disabling creation for another service (like Teams). 

View solution in original post