How to disable automatic posts that are made to chat when new files are uploaded?

Copper Contributor

Is there some way to stop the automatic posts that occur in the chat when a new file is uploaded?  We're using Teams as the hub for an online class. The files we add are often for units that are weeks in the future, and it is confusing to students to have notifications about those files appear in chat as though they are currently important. We would like to be able to add files to the Team "silently."

8 Replies
Did you upload the files in the files folder?

@adam deltinger Yes, these are files uploaded to folders in the files tab. But each one then appears as an automatic post in the chat, as well, like a notification that a file has been uploaded. 

SleepyLibrarian_0-1587661451230.png

See the last post here--that is an example of the automatic posts that occur after we upload a file to the files tab. 

@SleepyLibrarian 

If I use the Upload > Files option available while on the Files tab and then select a file to upload, I do not see the message back on the Posts tab. 

Will_Holland_0-1587662537368.png

However, if use the "Attach" icon from the Posts tab, a post is created like you shown in your image.

Will_Holland_1-1587662632451.png

Can you confirm that you're using the former method, and not the latter?

@Will_Holland Yes, to confirm again, we are using only the first method. We are uploading directly on the files tab only.

We actually are not even using chat yet. We have an introductory post there to welcome students who will be joining shortly, and we would like the chat interface to stay otherwise uncluttered for the beginning of the course. We have to manually delete these automated file posts to do so. 

I'm gathering this is not the default behavior other folks see in Teams. The two of us posting are both owners of the Team, if that might make a difference. 

@SleepyLibrarian 

Yeah, that's definitely not the experience I have in any of my tenants. I tried to reproduce it using accounts with varying permission levels (member, guest, admin, owner), different file types, and different ways of uploading (like drag-n-drop vs. file picker).

The only way I could get a post to happen was if I uploaded it from the "Posts" tab, or (if the file was an Office document) I opened up the file and clicked the "Conversation" button.

I also don't see any setting related automated posting.

@SleepyLibrarian Hi. Did you figure out how to disable the notification when files are added to the chat? It seems like the other replies to your question didn't understand what you're asking.

We use group chats to conduct weekly check-in meetings.

When you go to delete the "Shared a file" message from the chat itself, it also deletes the files from the chat.

@avizard I am having exact the same problem. When I upload a file in Teams a chat is created showing only this file as an attachment. I am puzzled...