How to convert a org wide Team to a O365-group restricted Team?

Copper Contributor

We started up with teams and created org-wide teams. It turned out not all of them really needed to be org wide and should bette be restricted by o365 group memberships. How can i turn a org wide team to a O365 controlled one? 

I'm fearing loosing the content in the existing group if unsubscribe user and re-subscribe by O365-Group...

12 Replies
Click ... next to the team -> team settings -> change from org team to private/public!

No data will be lost

Adam
I think you meant you meant to click the "..." and then "Edit team" and in the "Privacy" setting select public or private instead of "Org-wide". I have just tried in my test tenant and guess what: It have failed ;)

@adam deltinger : ok, team is private now. how can I change from manual membership to o365-connected team?

But the change was done...so it migh have been a temporary "hipcup"
Yeah! Edit team :)

How do you mean by connected team?

All membership is manual except from using dynamic Office 365 groups! ( or a org wide team

@adam deltinger : yeah, that's what I meant: O365-restricted (instead of org wide as before), so I can edit the memberships by adding users to o365 groups

Don't think that's what he means, he means he cannot change it after converting. You might have to give it some time to do it's changeover on the back end if it's not letting oyu manage memebership of the team currently.
Yeah, wasn’t really sure what was meant :\
But once set to private, membership will be handled like normal by itself! Might as well be some delay in the backend after switching over from org wise team as Chris said

@adam deltinger ok, seem it works now, though not yet what I was expecting:
I was hoping teams membership would dynamically adapt to members of O365 groups, as it does when having a org wide team. I actually can add now a O365 group to an existing team with given members and it adds missing memers to teams. but ist does not accept the O365 group as dynamic team-membership pool with an automatic sync of team- and O365-group-members in future.
that was what I was hoping: having configured my O365groups and I'm also done with configuring teams access.

ok, might be a bit naive to think it's that easy! ;) 

You have to setup per adam's article if that is the case, you can't have dynamic membership from "Other" groups in your Team. You have to setup a rule and have the dynamic group membership do the membership monidifcations on the Team.
Yeah! That’s a common mistake! People see that it’s possible to add groups when they add members to a team! But it actually doesn’t add the group, just do a one time export of the member inside it!