SOLVED

How to change the default browser in microsoft Teams (It doesn't respect windows' default browser)

Highlighted
New Contributor

How to change the default browser in microsoft Teams ? It doesn't respect windows' default browser settings. I don't want to use Microsoft Edge for opening web pages.

14 Replies
Highlighted

is it a IT policy ? because you can open Teams with Internet Explorer Browser from Edge or/and you can do a shortcut on your desktop to open Teams with your likely browser. 

Highlighted

I'm talking about teams application for windows, not the website.

Highlighted
you can used the log file https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/log-files to understand what the Teams App works and perhaps discover a setting file in this place.
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Best Response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

Go to Control Panel > Default Programs.

Select 'Associate a file type or protocol with a program'.

Scroll (far) down to the 'Protocols' section and associate HTTP and HTTPS with your browser of choice.

Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted

@Dave Taylor  That didn't work for me. That protocol is already set to Chrome and when I open a Team document library, it defaults to Edge.

Highlighted
I'm actually trying to accomplish what you are trying to avoid. I use Chrome for my personal environment and Edge for my work environment. Chrome is my default browser, so I'm trying to force Teams to open links in Edge.
Highlighted

@dmeffe that's precisely what I want to do as well. I'd like links from other programs to open in Chrome, but links from Teams to open in Edge. Keepin' worlds separate!

Highlighted

Hi @ArielHansen / @dmeffe , I also wanted to have MS Edge as defult browser only for MS Teams and Chrome for the rest. Did you find a way to do so?

Highlighted
Unfortunately no. I've just been using Teams from the Edge browser, then switching to the Win App when I need to.