SOLVED

How to change default meeting option for who can present org wide?

Copper Contributor

Right now by default when anyone in our org creates a meeting the default meeting option for "Who can present?" is set to everyone.  Is it possible to change the option to "People in my organization" org wide as the default?

Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 9.05.14 AM.png

9 Replies
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution
Take a look at meeting policies: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/meeting-policies-in-teams This is something you can configure with PowerShell

@Juan Carlos González Martín 

Thank you for the information.  When I make this change via PowerShell will take effect right away or will it take a little time to propagate through our tenant?

For sure the change will not be immediate and will take some time....not sure how much though

@Juan Carlos González Martín 

Morning Juan.  Here is the change that I made yesterday.  I just created a test meeting and checked the meeting options and it still is showing everyone for who can present.  Any other suggestions?

Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 7.17.21 AM.png

Actually I think I just discovered my issue.  I was editing the Global meeting policy and incorrectly assumed that all of our users were assigned that policy.  I did a little spot checking and it seems everyone in our department is assigned RestrictedAnonymousAccess (Direct) and I forgot that I assigned my self a test policy.   Oops.  Now I'm waiting for the changes and will test again.

@JR_McVicker 

I have the same issue. Did you ever find why the users are assigned the RestrictedAnonymousAccess (Direct) policy instead of the Global policy? In my global policy the option for who can present is set to OrganizerOnlyUserOverride, but the assigned policy RestrictedAnonymousAccess (Direct) policy, which everybody is assigned to,  sets to everybody is presenter, and this policy is not editable.. My solution was to make a custom policy and assign this to the usersgroups as an alternative Global policy.. to override the RestrictedAnonymousAccess (Direct) policy

@Ad_de_Roo Hello, Teams includes a built-in policy named 'RestrictedAnonymousAccess' which contains pre-defined settings. The predefined settings in the meeting policy can't be edited or changed by admins. It's very common that users in organizations are assigned to this policy (causing issues).

The policy should not be used and this is an example of how you can remove it 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/meeting-policies-restricted-anonymous-access 

@ChristianBergstrom 

When I try to remove the  RestrictedAnonymousUserAcces policy I use:

$restrictedAnonymousUsers = @(Get-CsOnlineUser |? TeamsMeetingPolicy -eq "RestrictedAnonymousAccess" | %{ $_.ObjectId })

New-CsBatchPolicyAssignmentOperation -PolicyType TeamsMeetingPolicy -PolicyName $null -Identity $restrictedAnonymousUsers -OperationName "Batch unassign meeting policy"

it returns a error:

New-CsBatchPolicyAssignmentOperation : Cannot bind argument to parameter 'PolicyName' because it is an empty string.

Empty string is used to indicate the default Global policy must be used. Also a "" returns the same error.

Any suggestion how to resolve this? f.e $null becomes $Global ?

Turned out to be that in order for the New-CsBatchPolicyAssignmentOperation command to work with a $null you need to have the latest version of the PowerShell Modules. After the command 'Update-Module' it all worked like a charme.

Thanks for your support.

@Ad_de_Roo Hi! Was just about to reply when noticed you had updated your post. Well, that's great. My plan was to "walk you through" with the prerequisites (in other words what you just did) and then start with the first script. Thanks for the update and well done!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution
Take a look at meeting policies: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/meeting-policies-in-teams This is something you can configure with PowerShell

View solution in original post