SOLVED

How to block users from joining meetings without the presence of the organizer?

Copper Contributor

I have the following problem, the teachers are scheduling their classes and the students are being able to join the conference videos without the teacher giving permission. I need to shield this. I need to find a way, if any, that only the organizer of the video conference will allow the participants to enter. I even researched the configuration of the meeting lobby using the “meeting options” option, but all the settings I made were in vain. I wrote an example of what is happening. For example: I have a team whose name is Turma - 141 the teacher will create a meeting for this team to conduct an online class at 3:30 pm. Then he will click on CALENDAR> NEW MEETING. You will enter the necessary settings and use the "add to channel" option so that information about the meeting is displayed on the channel. After that, he can open the option "Meeting options" and configure the lobby, but in "meeting options" it does not give me the right to make people join the meeting only after the organizer's entry. With that, students are entering the meeting without the organizer being present.

10 Replies
best response confirmed by Diosney_Gomes (Copper Contributor)
Solution
The lobby settings are for external attendees. Internal attendees can join meetings at any time and I do not believe you can change this currently. What I would suggest is setting up the meeting without the Teams link in it and paste a link to the channel instead. (Right click channel, get link) assuming everyone in meeting is in the Team since you previously did channel meeting. Now when it’s time to start the class the Teacher can just go click “Meet Now” as a new conversation and name the class and then everyone will get an alert and see the meeting box pop up to click to join.

Hopefully that works out for you as a work around.

Hi @Diosney_Gomes 

If all the users are part of your organization then there is no mechanism to control the feature. All the Members who are part of the organization would be admitted to the meeting even before the start of the Meeting. So in your case the Students would be admitted to the Teams Meeting before the Organizer Arrives.

With Regards,

Satish U

I agree with the workaround but this has an issue wherein the students might miss the class provided if they don't know when the class is scheduled in advance.

@RealTime_M365 The teacher could send out a traditional meeting invite (i.e. from Outlook) and put a link to the Channel in it.  Then, student gets the alert, opens the appointment, clicks the Channel link and sees that there is a "meet now" in progress.

@Diosney_Gomes 

Just started working on MS Teams and ported the entire database of teachers and students to it. 

Now I realized that MS Teams was never meant for Educational Institutions. Even basic necessities are missing. 

One more nuisance is that any students (even when configured as attendee) can invite any other students/teacher in  the session even without teacher knowing about it. 

@Diosney_Gomes 

There are coming some updates in Microsoft teams.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/education-blog/microsoft-teams-meetings-for-the-classroom-wha...

One of the updates is that Students can't join the meeting before a teachers joins. So you have more options with the Lobbby.

@Diosney_Gomes  solutions to these problems are coming very soon.
Check the blog post here, scroll down to coming soon.  Many of these features such as Chat Control are hitting our education tenant now.  https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/education-blog/microsoft-teams-meetings-for-the-classroom-wha...

TeamsRoadmap.jpg

@Chris_Laycock @Diosney_Gomes The problem with using a Meet Now is that you cannot set students to be attendees and you as the only presenter before the meeting and doing it in the meeting is too time consuming and probably late - so they can mute and kick people out the meeting. So step away from one problem into another! 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Diosney_Gomes (Copper Contributor)
Solution
The lobby settings are for external attendees. Internal attendees can join meetings at any time and I do not believe you can change this currently. What I would suggest is setting up the meeting without the Teams link in it and paste a link to the channel instead. (Right click channel, get link) assuming everyone in meeting is in the Team since you previously did channel meeting. Now when it’s time to start the class the Teacher can just go click “Meet Now” as a new conversation and name the class and then everyone will get an alert and see the meeting box pop up to click to join.

Hopefully that works out for you as a work around.

View solution in original post