How to block calls and meetings in VDI on network level

Brass Contributor

How can I block all Teams audio and video when running in a VDI? We're about to deploy Teams in our VDI environment (Vmware Horizon, Windows 10, no Citrix) and don't want the users to be able to do audio/video, because that's a huge performance hit on our infra/network. But when used outside the VDI environment, like from home or on a mobile device, audio/video is fine. So Teams user policies can't help us here.

I looked at the Teams desktop app and found a few json files with a lot of settings, but wasn't able to use this and don't know if any of these setting controls the use of audio/video. Now I'm trying to find out which tcp/udp ports and IP ranges to block on our firewall (for the VDI subnet), so users can still use Teams for chat / documents, but not for audio/video. I've tried to block UDP 3478-3481, and also 50000-50059 (source and dest), but to no avail. I can still join a meeting.

Can somebody help me to figure out which ranges to block?

1 Reply
Any update is on this question? We have the same issue with a couple of our customers.
they use a RDS/VDI for some business applications and Outlook but also want to use Teams. They need to be able to use Teams chat/ schedule meetings with the outlook plugin etc from within the RDS/VDI. But also use Teams with full features from their local device.