SOLVED

how to automatic send meeting link to guest?

Copper Contributor

Hello! Looks like on scheduled meeting creation, teams does not send a link to guest attendee email. Is it normal behavior, or a bug? I oftenly create a meetings with people, hwo doesn't belong to our org, and has no any kind of MS account, and i'd like to send them invite just in one step. 
Now it works this way: with teams of MS 365 Std, on both native app, or web version of teams I choose "schedule a meeting", fill the subject, and press + to invite people, fill an emails (of persons outside our org and without MS account, and with no contact assotiated with them). Then I press the button "Send", meeting appears in calendar, but nobody get an email with the meeting link. And I have to open meeting in calendar, copy and send a link in separate email for each guest. So why the button "Send"  doesn't realy send anything? 

11 Replies
Hi @Alex_str

Did you set this up as an actual channel meeting? Where you set a channel in the Teams Meeting? Or was it a regular private meeting where you didn't add a channel? And you are doing this through the calendar app in Teams? If you could confirm that would be great

Best, Chris

@Christopher Hoard 

1). I've try to create few new meetings through the web or native app both in calendar and "teams" sections. Yes, we have only one channel (called OrgName > General, created by default, I guess). And it's filled in the meeting creation form (see attached screenshot). It's not a repeating meeting, but every time created from scratch.

That's the reason it's happening. Schedule a meeting without a channel (as shown in your picture by the purple/pink square) and it should resolve. Email invites with channel meetings is a bit of a blurry subject and it's still after all these years not completely clear, but this article helps a lot to clarify that

http://foggybuzzard.com/2018/03/11/microsoft-teams-in-channel-meeting-invites-explained/

So the recommendation is next time you schedule a meeting - since they are one time meetings, do so without the channel and everything ought to work as normal with emails going out :D

Best, Chris

@Christopher Hoard @Alex_str Adding this more "structured" article on the topic ;) Understanding Who Receives Invitations for Teams Meetings - Office 365 for IT Pros (office365itpros....

The behavior sounds odd btw, that no one gets the invite even though you explicitly add them to the invitation. Perhaps you should do a message trace to see what's going on.

I do agree that it's a mess with the "subscriber" setting in the groups and the associated meeting notifications. Let's hope Microsoft adds a more user-friendly improvement to it.

best response confirmed by ChristianJBergstrom (MVP)
Solution
It shouldn't even be an issue. As confirmed it's for one time meeting and includes people outside the org. Channel Meeting in itself is wrong for it: should be a scheduled private meeting. Removing the channel will be the resolution :D
Thanks everybody for help and patience! Now it works.

What does it mean? "First World Problem"?

Yeah, Adam probably meant that this is a minor issue easily solved by following Chris suggestion. No worries though, there are no "stupid" questions :)
No, a typo :) could have been “following with popcorn” too :hugging_face:

@Christopher Hoard Thanks for your suggestions but I do not see the purple/pink button or anywhere else to change/set the 'channel'.  Perhaps it is not possible in the free version of Teams.  So back to sending a separate email to the meeting attendees with the copied meeting link.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ChristianJBergstrom (MVP)
Solution
It shouldn't even be an issue. As confirmed it's for one time meeting and includes people outside the org. Channel Meeting in itself is wrong for it: should be a scheduled private meeting. Removing the channel will be the resolution :D

View solution in original post