SOLVED

How to Assign the Co-Organizer Role to Microsoft Teams Meetings

MVP

Microsoft Teams is introducing a new co-organizer role for meetings. The role allows people to share the workload involved in managing complex meetings, like webinars. The role is optional and likely to be used in a small minority of Teams meetings. Even so, it’s a useful feature to have available when you’re planning a large and complex meeting.

https://office365itpros.com/2021/11/22/assign-co-organizer-role-microsoft-teams-meetings/

63 Replies

@rcdp_ The feature has not yet launched in General Availability. It's listed on the Microsoft Roadmap (Feature ID 81391) as "In development." That's why you don't see it yet.

no, that because
"We expect this feature to begin rolling out in mid-May (previously mid-March) and expect the rollout to be complete by late May (previously late March)"
Can we get this corrected with full Co-Organizer permissions? As a trainer, there are times where I have to cover a peer or switch my co-facilitator. Even from a delegation perspective of EAs/meeting schedules creating meetings for leadership or training meetings.
Hi, yeah that would be awesome. Not sure it will happen though. You can workaround it in some cases, i.e. you don't have to be an organizer to start or "control" a meeting as long as the invite (meeting options) made you presenter and the absent organizer has set the lobby option to automatically let you in.

You can read more about the roles here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/roles-in-a-teams-meeting-c16fa7d0-1666-4dde-8686-0a0bfe16...

And the lobby options here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/change-participant-settings-for-a-teams-meeting-53261366-...

The GA for this option was moved from March '22 to May '22. As May is almost over, does anyone know when this will become available for everyone? It's a much needed option! 

@AshleyVanDM An updated rollout timeline was announced in a post (MC292796) in the Microsoft 365 Admin Center's Message Center, yesterday, May 26th. The date hasn't been updated in the Microsoft Roadmap item (81391) yet, which isn't surprising since Microsoft is horrible about keeping information consistent and up to date in the Roadmap.

From the Message Center post:

"When this will happen: We expect this feature to begin rolling out in late May (previously mid-May) and expect the rollout to be complete by mid-June (previously late May)."

Yesterday, the Microsoft Roadmap showed a status change for this item from "In Development" to "Rolling Out." I'm now seeing the option in Public Preview in my tenant.

I already seen that it's been rolled out.

but the co-organizer option only appear for the new meeting, the old meetings (which set recurring) dont have the option.

i thought the role co-organizer can have the privilege to change the schedule of the meeting (when the original organizer unable to change/left the company or else..)

@m36five 

@rcdp_ Thanks for flagging the issue with recurring meetings - that is something to keep in mind!

Unfortunately the Co-organizer role doesn't include the ability to edit the meeting - such as change time and date - which is sooooo disappointing as this is the most critical function that we need.

Co-organizers can:

• Access and change meeting options
  • Bypass the lobby
  • Admit people from the lobby during a meeting
  • Lock the meeting
  • Present content
  • Manage breakout rooms but not create them
  • Change another participant’s meeting role
  • End the meeting for all

Co-organizers cannot:

• Create breakout rooms
  • View & download attendance reports
  • Manage the meeting recording
  • Edit the meeting invitation including the scheduling
  • Remove or change the Organizer role

TIL that guest users can be assigned as co-organizers, but do NOT get any of the benefits. Guests cannot bypass the lobby, manage breakout rooms, etc.
Yes I share the sentiment.
Is there an enhancement request yet for 'Co-organizers should be able to create breakout rooms', if not where can we make one?
This is a huge disappointment. So the problem still exists if someone leaves that set up a reoccurring meeting, even if you appoint a co-organiser it is not possible for them to edit the meeting details such as move it forward half an hour etc. I think the name of the feature is misguiding.
I am late here but should co-organizers be able to add a poll to a meeting? If a presenter can shouldn't a co-organizer?

@Tony Redmond 

Currently it is only possible to add a co-moderator after the appointment has bee created.

Is there no possibility to create the co-moderator directly in the outlook calendar (or teams calendar) during the appointment creation?

That would be a great new feature...

thanks

nicole

@Tony Redmond   Agreeing with all of the previous replies.  Our key issue is the inability to change the owner or organizer of meetings.   We like to setup indefinite Teams meetings for long term projects so everyone knows the meeting link and can jump on any time.   The problem is when the originator leaves it forces us to recreate all of these meetings and send out new invitations and meeting links.  This also means the previous chatter history and attachments is lost.  We desperately need the ability to maintain continuity by keeping the meetings as-is and changing the owner to a new person.   Or, if a Co-organizer had 100% of the functionality of the owner/organizer that would probably work. 

Requests for additional functionality or modifications to existing functionality are best posted to the Teams feedback portal https://feedbackportal.microsoft.com/feedback/forum/ad198462-1c1c-ec11-b6e7-0022481f8472. I don't work for Microsoft. All I do is try to make sense of what Microsoft delivers through articles posted to https://office365itpros.com. I can't change anything!