SOLVED

how to add multiple users in teams chat in one go

Brass Contributor

how to add multiple users in teams chat in one go it doesnt accept any semicolon nor comma. I want to add bulk users in chat and start the chat

20 Replies

@alitaqvi Hello Ali,

On the left side panel, right click on the CHAT and select NEW CHAT from the drop down or press CTRL + N to start a new chat.

In the TO: field across the top, enter each person or group, no commas or semi colons required.

Then click on the SEND button.

In the To field i can't insert bulk email ID to start a group chart. It doesn't recognize bulk together if put them with space without, coma , semi colon etc. Nothing works. Any suggestions to start chat with bulk users.

@alitaqvi Here are two options for you:

1. If all the users happen to be part of the same Team and you are the Team owners (only team members if the feature is enabled for them). From within your team create a new tag and add the users. to the tag. The you can then start a chat and just add the tag to the chat. You will see the names of people being in tag appear in your chat 
  2. Create a group chat and give the chat an appropriate title (use the drop down arrow to the right of the to box). Add your users one by one in the to box and send message. Next time you want to contact all user just add the chat title in the to box and you will start a chat with all users in your existing group chat 
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@alitaqvi You can start a group chat with multiple users if you are typing their names and select each one as they are suggested. I'm going to guess your trying to copy/paste some list into chat?

Try creating a url link that follows the deep link format, it will accept multiple users as a comma separated list of upns

https://teams.microsoft.com/l/chat/0/0?users=<user1>,<user2>,...&topicName=<chat name>&message=<precanned text>

Click the link and you'll get a group chat

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/platform/concepts/build-and-test/deep-links#generati...

Thanks Steven - it worked for almost 70 address but i think due to long link path it doesn't accept more then 70 address in one go.

@alitaqvi 

There's a limit of 50 people for Teams chats. 

(And I think 1000(?) for Teams teams.)

Very helpful, thanks.

@MaggieH 

"On the left side panel, right click on the CHAT and select NEW CHAT from the drop down or press CTRL + N to start a new chat.
In the TO: field across the top, enter each person or group, no commas or semi colons required.
Then click on the SEND button."

Hi this does not work as described. Soon as I enter one person, it creates the chat to a single person and I am unable to add a second person. To clarify, I am attempting to add external users to a chat. Regardless, MS has always used a semicolon across all their software to add recipients. These external users are added in teams contacts, and also I entered them in a group. However entering the group, as the dialog requests, does not work either.

After over an hour messing with it, I just texted the people till I can figure it out. It should not be this difficult. Why Teams cannot access my Outlook contacts as it does my calendar is beyond me also. Re-entering contacts is a waste of everyone's time.

VishwasTayade@ITAVA2021 : Faced same issue as above. I had to copy & paste the id's individually & its consuming lot of time. Maybe allowing comma or semi colon separated to update multiple addresses would be MUCH BETTER.

Here is a CodePen do make this link automatically from a list of email addresses like you might get from an Outlook group: https://codepen.io/cjbarth/full/ZEeJBvN

All you have to do is type in the name of the Teams group you want, and paste in the list of email addresses (a Regex will extract all the email addresses, so don't worry about format), and you'll see a link you can click on to automatically create a Teams group.

@alitaqvi 

If you are using outlook and if you have an email that includes the required members - open the email and select "Reply All with IM".

@VipsINDI don't see such a button, nor have I heard of it. How did you get it enabled? I have Teams installed and Outlook installed, so I would expect it would just be there.

@cjbarth 

- Open an existing received / sent email

- Click on Message

- On the Messages options at the end click on (3 dots which I believe it's also called hamburger icon) as below

VipsIND_0-1626363623407.png

- It will show the following menu options:

VipsIND_1-1626365539412.png

You are a genius!!! Thank you so much!! You saved a lot of my time. The mere thought of adding one user at a time for 150 users was getting me to lose my mind lol. Thank you, again!!!

@VipsINDThis is a great feature, thanks for pointing it out! Sadly it doesn't work on Office 2019 or if you don't have Outlook on your machine (Linux). This really should be a feature in Teams itself.

This helped me! Thanks! :)

(However, I believe that this thing should be "fixed" = added to MS Teams… Obviously, I and my colleagues are not the only ones struggling with it…)
This is genius! Thank you so much.
Thank you, Steven, this worked for my needs.
This definitely needs more likes and attention

This works perfectly. Thank you!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@alitaqvi You can start a group chat with multiple users if you are typing their names and select each one as they are suggested. I'm going to guess your trying to copy/paste some list into chat?

Try creating a url link that follows the deep link format, it will accept multiple users as a comma separated list of upns

https://teams.microsoft.com/l/chat/0/0?users=<user1>,<user2>,...&topicName=<chat name>&message=<precanned text>

Click the link and you'll get a group chat

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/platform/concepts/build-and-test/deep-links#generati...

View solution in original post