SOLVED

How to add a link to the app launcher in Teams

Iron Contributor

How can I, as a Global Admin, add an app to the app launcher in Teams so it appears for all users. The app will only be a link to a website.

1 Reply
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

Hi @Jakob Rohde ,

So the easy bit is to describe how you would add something to the app launcher and that is by way of the Teams Admin Centre > Setup Policies and assuming you don't have anything beyond the default policies, you can probably just get away with modifying the Global Policy.

Now the not so simple bit is that you cannot just add a link, it has to be an App, so either a First Party App (Microsoft App), Third Party or Custom (In House App).

So basically you need to have an app to facilitate a link, which seems a bit excessive, so I would consider other ways of surfacing links for all to consume. So keeping it Teams perhaps a Org Wide Team that has a tab to the site you are wanting to link to?

Failing that and if you still want to go down the app route and forgive me for my suggestion as I am not a true developer, so there might be a more obvious way. But I would just be tempted to create  a simple Power App and then surface that in the App Launcher. You could then surface multiple links for all to easily consume by way of just making tweaks to your Power App ongoing.

Thanks

Henry

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

Hi @Jakob Rohde ,

So the easy bit is to describe how you would add something to the app launcher and that is by way of the Teams Admin Centre > Setup Policies and assuming you don't have anything beyond the default policies, you can probably just get away with modifying the Global Policy.

Now the not so simple bit is that you cannot just add a link, it has to be an App, so either a First Party App (Microsoft App), Third Party or Custom (In House App).

So basically you need to have an app to facilitate a link, which seems a bit excessive, so I would consider other ways of surfacing links for all to consume. So keeping it Teams perhaps a Org Wide Team that has a tab to the site you are wanting to link to?

Failing that and if you still want to go down the app route and forgive me for my suggestion as I am not a true developer, so there might be a more obvious way. But I would just be tempted to create  a simple Power App and then surface that in the App Launcher. You could then surface multiple links for all to easily consume by way of just making tweaks to your Power App ongoing.

Thanks

Henry

View solution in original post