How long does it take to switch coexistence mode to Teams?

Iron Contributor

Our tenant has been running in "Skype for Business" coexistence mode for over a month. A number of users have been moved over to Teams coexistence mode so they were able to pilot Teams.

In advanced of the forced switch-over, we've now started migrating users 15 a day to "Teams only" coexistence mode. The first 15 were done last Friday night (over 72 hours ago). However, the users are reporting that they are *not* switched across to Teams. Specifically, Skype for Business is not prompting them to switch/download Teams.

In addition, when Teams users try to message users switched over on Friday, it says they are still using Skype.

Is this normal? When I upgraded my own account, I was prompted to install and use Teams within a few hours.

8 Replies
Pretty much is normal current situation it can take longer in those cached scenarios. Microsoft is working on getting it down to 24 hours soon but right now it’s still hit or miss. You could try having users log off and on both to see if it forced cache resets but it’s really more just a wait thing.
Thanks for this Chris - I was vaguely aware of posts on here about long delays in upgrading. I've raised a support ticket with Microsoft as well just to cover both aspects and asked them to check one specific user. It's not an ideal situation as we carefully timed the upgrades at a time when the users didn't have any important client Skype meetings planned - giving them time to get used to the new system.

That was not a trivial exercise which involved writing a script to get a list of all future meetings and planning the upgrades 5 days before. Plus we carried out a training course with all users.

Now with this delay, we've got the very unnerving situation where the upgrade could happen right before such a client conference call. Skype audio conferencing is the main verbal communication channel for us with clients. People don't need stress!

To make this worse, there doesn't appear to be any (PowerShell) way to check that the upgrade is still pending so we're in this kind of limbo time. Even if it said "You're 4,652 in a queue of 6,343,312", at least we'd know something was happening.

I emailed the first 15 batch yesterday asking if any of them had been upgraded. Answer so far is "No".

"Could do better" is my feedback for Microsoft here...
And confusion by the users whether they should be using Skype to set-up new meetings or Teams!

@Chris Webb it's getting worse and the end users are now totally confused. I've just spent an hour on the phone with Microsoft support where he just tried to tell me how you change a user over from SfB to Teams via PowerShell. He inferred that doing it via PowerShell got it done quicker than the Teams admin GUI. But during our chat, I was made aware of this useful command:

Get-CsMeetingMigrationStatus -Identity user@domain.com

But right now, the tenant is right old mess. Until recently, users who were migrated to Teams were prompted to install Teams when SfB loaded and in future, SfB didn't load automatically but Teams did. In addition, the meeting addin in Skype changed to Teams.

However, right now, Teams and SfB is loading and the message in Skype has changed from this:

To this:

My suspicion is that Microsoft have made a tenant change because of the impending automatic update to Teams on 14th July.

But this is totally confusing the users. Users manually switched are caught in some limbo and those already using Teams have now got Skype back as well - like it's back in Islands mode.

Yeah that's odd. It's almost like you should rip the bandaid off and go all Teams only lol. I've been lucky to not have large full S4B usage so moving was easy. I couldn't imagine having to migrate to Teams on a full blown Skype for Business implementation, it's got to be a disaster.
The more I hear from recently migrated users, the more convinced I am that whatever switch Microsoft has thrown that's putting up that "Try Teams" banner is causing this trouble - but as you say, tempted to just pull the dam wall down and send everyone across. At least I can then raise another support call but not sure I need another hour on the phone just to be told a PowerShell command I already know...
When we are moving users from SfB Only to Teams Only the messaging part (being able to chat) of the switch usually takes between 1-3 days. The rest like meetings etc usually works in 2-8 hours. During this time the users are unable to use Skype or Teams for chat since the two applications are referring to each other.

I'm honestly at the point of throwing my hands up in the air as going "Enough Microsoft - what the !!!" are you doing. We're getting totally bizarre situations like this. Liz has been using Teams for over a week now.

7rDKA2U[1].png

If I click on that link, I get a separate conversation from Monday:

wkxt4QG[1].png

If I respond to that message in Teams, Liz still gets it in Teams. 

But Liz has not switched to Skype!!! That message is totally and utterly confusing.