SOLVED

How does private channel 'member to owner' promotion happen when last owner leaves org?

Iron Contributor

Can anyone tell me how member promotion to owner happens when the last owner of a private channel leaves the org? Is it a member of the private channel gets picked at random, or is it a member of the wider Team gets picked? 

Thanks

4 Replies
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@DazzaR Hi, well the official docs says that this is how it works. But from my understanding it doesn't (auto-promotion) and is a known bug. At least I haven't heard anything new so will gladly receive an update on it from anyone that possibly knows more about it.

Anyway, this can be done manually using PowerShell (get the members and then promote one).

@ChristianBergstrom - thanks, that might explain why I couldn't get auto-promotion to work in my tests in my dev tenant. Have you seen a post or article elsewhere where Microsoft acknowledge it's a bug?

@DazzaR 

I had some Private Channels for a team where the sole owner of the channel left the company.  Here's what I did to get a different member assigned:

1.) Remove the Teams group membership from the user's Azure Active Directory profile.

2.) Remove the user from the Teams Membership in Microsoft Teams (it took a little bit of time for the sync to occur).

3.) Teams auto-promoted a different member to owner (not sure the algorithm...am wondering if it was the last / most contributor?)

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@DazzaR Hi, well the official docs says that this is how it works. But from my understanding it doesn't (auto-promotion) and is a known bug. At least I haven't heard anything new so will gladly receive an update on it from anyone that possibly knows more about it.

Anyway, this can be done manually using PowerShell (get the members and then promote one).

View solution in original post