SOLVED

How do you know you have the latest Teams Desktop version

Brass Contributor

I can see what my current version is. When I google "latest Teams Desktop version" I am not getting any clear cut answers. Downloading the installation file tells me nothing, since the version is not included in the filename. Clicking "check for updates" in my already installed desktop app gives me litterally NO FEEDBACK. No "most recent version is already installed", no "there is an update available". Nothing ... I have been searching for an update history on my system, also nothing ... So please tell me how can I ascertain that indeed the most recent updates have been installed?

I am doubting that my Teams desktop has been updating automatically. It says that I have version 1.3.00.30866 that was updated on 11th of November 2020. If Teams is updating regularly and automatically, that seems like a long time ago that an update was applied. I used to have the possibility for large gallery, but that is greyed out the last few weeks. My colleagues can use breakout rooms, and I cannot find that feature anywhere.

I had to re-install Teams a while ago since I could no longer logon. It kept saying it ran into a problem. After removing the app and reinstalling, it was fine again. But now I havethe feeling it is no longer up to date.

10 Replies

You don't. MS's system for getting the latest version is a joke.

Checking for updates within Teams is inconsistent from person to person and is badly broken (Skype gets this right, ironically).

MS's own sites for downloading manually feed different versions, some laughably old.

You just have to gather information from places like here and other forums to know what might be the latest.

The latest known version that was actually deliberately released, at least that I've seen, is:
https://statics.teams.cdn.office.net/production-windows-x64/1.3.00.34662/Teams_windows_x64.exe

From Dec 11.

I’m not aware of the version releases. I found this on Wikipedia that seems like it’s up to date regarding versions:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Teams

Although clicking on update I the Teams client it should say in the main windows if it’s up to date or not
Except Wikipedia isn't. It lists 30866.

And checking for updates within Teams is even more unreliable than that. If only it were that simple.

@Brian .  That all sounds terribly dissapointing and far from logical. I feared that this could be the case. Why would MS make it so difficult to check this or get this right ...

@anyone: any knowledge if this behaviour /issue has been reported to MS?

@Brian .Thank you for this link. I downloaded the version that is presented on the official Microsoft download page for my region at https://www.microsoft.com/nl-be/microsoft-365/microsoft-teams/download-app

I unzipped the .exe file and discovered this was an older version (1.3.00.28779) than even the one I had installed. I then downloaded the .exe file from your suggested location (same filename by the way as the other downloaded file), extracted it and found it to be a newer version (1.3.00.34662)

I now have the correct feature set available.

This is proof to me that Teams desktop is NOT auto updating and that the "check for updates" function was NOT working. Shame that a company such as Microsoft has no definitive source from where they supply the latest version of this product, nor that they document their versions correctly.

I agree with this one actually. It’s quite a mess with the Teams desktop client versions and updates, ranging from manually udating to the lack of detailed release history etc. You don’t necessarily have to have the latest released version to use all new features as much is controlled backend, but this could be managed much better in my opinion.
I’ll report this to Microsoft Teams team

Adam
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@VayaWillemen 

Tracking client version numbers is a fruitless task, best to try and ignore it. Recently there has been a pause in client updates, I've seen devices as far back as 1.3.00.28779 from November that are happily not updating to anything else. If you look in the client logs (right click on the Teams icon in the status tray) they check and are told they are up to date.

There is not significant consistency, versions do not get deployed to everyone at the same time, one machine can be offered an update while another isn't. Sometimes whole versions are skipped for some device and not others. From what I can tell recently users in the same tenant are not offered updates at the same point, a degree of staging is being done by Microsoft where they deploy to something like 10% then 20% and so on.

If you login or are a guest in another tenant the stage may be different, so you might then get a newer version. If you access a tenant where you are in another level of deployment ring (for example Public Preview, a TAP tenant or Microsoft's tenant) you could well get a new version offered.

Ultimately it doesn't matter, the Teams client is kind of like a browser housing a web application, new features, apps etc can be lit up without the client being updated. When a feature does have a dependency on native code in the client Microsoft have deployed that well in advance of the feature being enabled in the web app.

If you want to verify if your client is updating properly perform a check for updates then look in the logs (Teams in Status Area, Right Click, Get Logs). If you see some URLs being mentioned then ultimately a message

<4000> -- info -- App up-to-date

then your client is current.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@VayaWillemen 

Tracking client version numbers is a fruitless task, best to try and ignore it. Recently there has been a pause in client updates, I've seen devices as far back as 1.3.00.28779 from November that are happily not updating to anything else. If you look in the client logs (right click on the Teams icon in the status tray) they check and are told they are up to date.

There is not significant consistency, versions do not get deployed to everyone at the same time, one machine can be offered an update while another isn't. Sometimes whole versions are skipped for some device and not others. From what I can tell recently users in the same tenant are not offered updates at the same point, a degree of staging is being done by Microsoft where they deploy to something like 10% then 20% and so on.

If you login or are a guest in another tenant the stage may be different, so you might then get a newer version. If you access a tenant where you are in another level of deployment ring (for example Public Preview, a TAP tenant or Microsoft's tenant) you could well get a new version offered.

Ultimately it doesn't matter, the Teams client is kind of like a browser housing a web application, new features, apps etc can be lit up without the client being updated. When a feature does have a dependency on native code in the client Microsoft have deployed that well in advance of the feature being enabled in the web app.

If you want to verify if your client is updating properly perform a check for updates then look in the logs (Teams in Status Area, Right Click, Get Logs). If you see some URLs being mentioned then ultimately a message

<4000> -- info -- App up-to-date

then your client is current.

View solution in original post