SOLVED

How do I get single window mode back?

Copper Contributor
Teams seems to have auto updated and now meetings are in separate pop out windows. I don't like this. I want everything in one window again.

This kind of behavior should only ever be optional and not forced on the user. I don't care which is the default but it should be an option.

How do I get single window mode back?
11 Replies
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@merlinpatt Hi there, you need to enter the settings in Teams and leave this unchecked.

newmeetingexp.PNG

As for being default this is the latest info.

• New experiences are available and users can enable through settings. - Complete
  • Experiences are enabled by default and users can disable through settings. - Late September (previously August)
  • Experiences are enabled by default and user controls are no longer available. - October (previously September)

So going forward this will be the new default if they don't decide to keep it as an option.

Where in settings is this? I don't see this as an option anywhere.

@merlinpatt Hi, should be right here: Settings - General - Application (Teams desktop).

newmeetingexp.PNG

Thanks! Although from what you said earlier (Experiences are enabled by default and user controls are no longer available), it sounds like this will not be optional, which is a terrible design decision.

The code is already in the platform to make it optional as evidenced by this discussion. So there is no good reason to get rid of it. There must be other people who want single window Teams.

Removing the option to allow us the single window mode is an extremely poor design decision. Forcing the user into unfriendly UX is something microsoft should stop doing. this is what "Options" are for. This is similar to forcing the theme change, with a light grey background makes it hard to see and read. Give us back the themes and features we like, dont force us into changing apps.

Yeah, ability to keep it in one window went away with this morning's OS updates & reboot.

I'd be able to deal with the multi-window if the chat window kept my screen placement/sizing choices, but instead I have to start each meeting out looking away from my camera until I have the window placed correctly for natural looking conversation.

I am really frustrated that with the latest update, no longer is there an ability to have a single-window mode. This is so stupid to force the users into the new tremendously inconvenient multi-window UX, especially when great (single window) UX was there, and was doing a good job.
Please bring the ability to switch this feature in options back.
I agree with the others who preferred single-window mode and want that ability back. I could restore the Teams window, along with the active meeting, with a single key chord before. I'd like to have that single-chord window restore made available again.
This reply is no longer accurate. The option is now missing.
I wrote that reply above almost 7 months ago. Now it's rolling out as default as they (Microsoft) have said for a very long time.
[Microsoft] Please just give users back the option of single or multi-window experience. The code is there to allow it, so it shouldn't be difficult. Just please your users.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@merlinpatt Hi there, you need to enter the settings in Teams and leave this unchecked.

newmeetingexp.PNG

As for being default this is the latest info.

• New experiences are available and users can enable through settings. - Complete
  • Experiences are enabled by default and users can disable through settings. - Late September (previously August)
  • Experiences are enabled by default and user controls are no longer available. - October (previously September)

So going forward this will be the new default if they don't decide to keep it as an option.

View solution in original post