How do i get more channels

Copper Contributor

I am using Teams for the 1st time with the rest of my department and I am trying to set up my channels with sub channels, which I have just discovered I can't but I've received a message to say we are at capacity and I cant add anymore channels.

thanks

Jackie 

9 Replies
How many channels do you have? The cap is 200 maximum! Deleted channel counts til they are fully removed
I dont know but this is the message i get You’ve reached the max. number of channels that you can auto-show for a team.
Agree with Adam here

It could be a case of waiting a few days as when a channel is deleted they are soft deleted meaning there is a period of time (if memory serves this is 30 days) before it is completely purged.

Even with Powershell it is still soft deleted

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/teams/remove-teamchannel?view=teams-ps

Best, Chris
Yes! This is 10 afaik! No way to extend it! You can go to manage channels and unclick earlier channels
Ok, to summarize here :).

Your max channel limit is 200 channels. When you create channels you can choose to auto show them for your users in the Team, You can have a max of 10 of these set to auto show at any given time.

All you have to do is uncheck the auto show box if you need to create many channels. You can then tell your users to go click on the channels they want shown in their lists. But at any given time you can only have those 10 at any one time.

@Chris Webb  do you know if Microsoft plans via a future release of Teams to increase the number of channels that can be set to auto-show for all members which now stands at 10 to a higher limit.

Please advise if you are able

Thanks

Anthony Outerbridge

Not that I’m aware of. I would suggest checking out uservoice and adding votes to an existing if it exists which I’m betting it does. If you find I’d vote for it as well so please share.

One thing to note you can remove the setting from a channel and add it to another channel to add it for everyone it will not remove the old showing. So you can technically exceed 10. The only negative with the approach is new members will get the 10 actively set but existing can get more than 10 as you slowly shift the setting around.
It exists here, albeit worded slightly differently so you may want to post another

https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/38573347-be-able-to-customize-...

Best, Chris