How do I delete a recording now that meeting recordings are not being uploaded to Stream

Copper Contributor

A recording was made of a meeting and some information was included in the recording after most people left the meeting and now it needs to be deleted as not all members of the Teams should be able to see the full meeting recording. When meetings were uploaded to Stream I had the ability to go delete recordings or manage access. Now all members of the Team will have the ability to download the recording for 21 days.

Is there any way that the file can be deleted immediately?

Thanks

36 Replies

@Emjay1976 That's a good question. How should one act in these scenarios? @descapa_msft 

I have the same problem. I recorded a quick snip of myself at home, and it posted to the General tab's posts. I want it off. It is short, but I don't want my students to download a video of me at home. @Emjay1976 

@RTren do you know if a resolution was found? I would also like to be able to delete... :)

@Emjay1976 Hello, I got an update. "The team is aware of customers asking about delete and are working on addressing this set of feedback.".

That's all I know right now.

Hi @AngelaDawson   There is a Uservoice item on this (a couple of others, too).  Please go vote so the team knows how many users want this: https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/35774944-delete-meeting-record...

@Emjay1976 Did anybody find solution? I have to delete it but there is no MS Stream. Only temprorary 20 days available in the chat.

Hi,

Users won't need a Microsoft Stream license assigned if you want users to only record and download the recordings. This will mean that the recordings aren't stored in Microsoft Stream but are instead stored in Azure Media Services (AMS) with a 21-day limit before it's deleted. It's not something at this point that an admin can control or manage including the ability to delete it.

The scenario above is applicable if not using the new meeting recording storage mode (OneDrive/SharePoint).

Therefore it is impossible to delete it?
Yes. Can’t be done today. Have to wait the 21 days.

@ChristianBergstrom @Nurlana1 @Emjay1976 @ThereseSolimeno @AngelaDawson 

Hi All

I Hope this can help some of you. I have found a way to delete the meeting recording (within Teams).

Only the person who initiated the recording can delete the recording. This person will need to 'Join' the meeting again > Click 'Show conversation' icon and locate the recording > click the 3 dots  and select Delete.

Hope this helps you all, any questions please ask or if you have found a better method please let me know.

I tried this. Unfortunately, the "Delete" button shows up for me (with the New Meeting Experience turned on) but it is grayed out.

We have a video that we are quite desperate to delete, to put it bluntly, and the fact that Microsoft has offered no way to delete a video is just insane.

@sumitsatsangi 

Thanks for the advice. How do I re-join a meeting that has already ended?

Just to confirm the only person who can delete the video is the person who started the recording.

Hope this helps 👍🏼
You will need to find the meeting within your teams calendar and join the meeting from there.
Just remember only the person who started the recording can delete the recording.

Hope this helps

@sumitsatsangi 

I get that, so I have recorded a meeting. It has now appeared in my feed. I can't seem to now re-join that meeting to follow the instructions you gave. All I can do is download it?

@acp16 

Sorry Im not sure, I have just tested it and I am able to join an old meeting by clicking on the meeting and clicking the Join button. Once in the meeting (only you will be there) you can click on the Conversation button, which will show you the Conversation history and view the recording there. 

i have teams 

You have Microsoft Teams Version 1.3.00.30866 (64-bit). It was last updated on 11/13/20.

@Emjay1976 

I have done a few screenshots if this helps 

@sumitsatsangi 

Unfortunately, even as the person who started and ended the recording, the Delete button is grayed out for me.  Pretty disappointing... I was hoping that after more than a semester of this disaster, Microsoft would have figured out a way for us to do the most basic (and possible important) thing, which is to delete a file.

There was a situation in my organisation where some inappropriate comments were made on a video, and it was incredibly important to render the video inaccessible.  We had to rapidly delete the entire team (ruining an entire semester of files and work) and recreate it to resolve it... and even then, I'm not sure that the video was truly inaccessible, but it was the most that could have been done.