SOLVED

How can I improve the frame rate from screen share?

Copper Contributor
We use teams a lot at my workplace to screen share. We usually show code, diagrams or other sort of static content.
The framerate on these screen shares are usually pretty low, at 2fps.
In the long run this gives me a headache trying to follow the presenter's mouse cursor, or diagrams when it gets scrolled around.

This is happening across the board, with great laptops and connections. I believed the framerate is getting capped by teams itself.

Can this be changed?
9 Replies
best response confirmed by Therese_Solimeno (Moderator)
Solution

@SaitaD There isn't anything that you can do. Microsoft Teams is optimizing for bandwidth but has some AI that allows it to switch between prioritizing crisp or smooth. See

AI-based video and screen sharing quality optimization in Microsoft Teams meetings - Microsoft Tech ...

Maybe you could force smooth by playing a video ?

I saw that article earlier too. I am trying to reach the creator. There are some comments in that article about this issue and the possibility of turning the feature off, but no response has been given yet.
I don't think playing a video would work, unless it stays on the foreground, but that would defeat the purpose of the screen share.

@SaitaD  - did you ever get this resolved?

I am looking for an answer or a setting, where I can share my screen in FullHD with 30fps (and yes I have the bandwith to do so)....

So hopefully, there is an option, otherwise I have to look for better meeting apps.

@kurtsoeser 
I now use OBS Studio (free), capture the screen (or window) in OBS, & use it as a virtual webcam. Teams seems to massively prioritise webcam bandwidth over screenshare, so I make it think the screenshare is a webcam. Works great as long as everyone else in the meeting switches their webcam off, I have full screen share at >30fps.

Thanks, I do exactly the same, BUT the webcam stream is not in FULL-HD, it is scaled down, often depending on participants connections speed (I have done A LOT of tests and research on this... ;) ), so hopefully it will be possible to get BOTH things: FPS AND FULL-HD... Right now, I stream my Webinars to YouTube in addition to get my participants a good experience...
Now I've done further tests:
1) everything on the same PC:
- When I share my screen from within the Teams App, I get 1080p and 2-3 fps.
- When I go to the Edge-Browser and share my screen I get 1080p and 15-20 fps....

2) with a different PC I get the same results: low fps with Teams App, high fps with Browser

WTF? I can't explain what's going on?

It seems like the Teams App is limiting my bandwith or the screensharing ?

Can anybody confirm this? What I do not understand here?
Unfortunately, no.
You are probably right. Some feature that tries to save bandwidth. I Just wish there was a configuration to turn it off.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Therese_Solimeno (Moderator)
Solution

@SaitaD There isn't anything that you can do. Microsoft Teams is optimizing for bandwidth but has some AI that allows it to switch between prioritizing crisp or smooth. See

AI-based video and screen sharing quality optimization in Microsoft Teams meetings - Microsoft Tech ...

Maybe you could force smooth by playing a video ?

View solution in original post