SOLVED

How can I bulk invite the team to a meeting?

Copper Contributor

Hey there, 

I created a channel and invited 10 people to join. How can I send a bulk invitation to a meeting without giving every single name? ideally the meeting would appear in each outlook kalender.

Any ideas? 

thanks,

Diddy

34 Replies

@Christopher Hoard 

I have similar problem. Based on your inputs, i first created group in microsoft365 then added this to Team.

Wow, it worked.

Thanks

Asis

To schedule a meeting, open Outlook and switch to the calendar view. Click New Teams Meeting at the top of the view. Add your invitees to the Required or Optional field(s)—you can even invite entire contact groups (formerly known as distribution lists). Add your meeting subject, location, start time, and end time.

@Jason_IT 

I am finding the same issue as many on this thread. Illogical sequence for getting invites sent to team members. It simply doesn't make sense that you need to use an admin function to enable invites to be sent directly to users with access to the channel. Most companies have an ecosystem where people are bringing 'Teams' world together with Outlook world and the two need to mesh.

This needs to be resolved: Having a robust system for ensuring communication about Team meetings is a prerequisite for any collaborative platform. It undermines the whole point of the platform.

@David_Tilbrook I agree and I've got to say that a basic functionality of inviting a team to a meeting should not require lots of work arounds. 

To add insult to injury, if I start typing an email address which I've used before in Outlook or Windows Mail it wil 'autocomplete'. Wht doesnt it do it in Teams?

Please vote for this suggestion to get notifications in Teams when a channel meeting is scheduled: Channel Meetings Notifications – Microsoft Teams UserVoice

@Diddy974 

Late to the party but I'll add to what others have said. Firstly this is very frustrating and I know MS is pushing users to stay in MS Teams but the facts is in most large companies email is still king.

1. A while back all this worked

2. Then MS decided to make the default to hide new groups created from MS Teams from Outlook. This has more impacts that just hiding. It impacts everything people here are commenting on. The important items. 

The 2 options that work:

1. If it is a team already created then you will need to get your Excchange Admin to run the following powershell script to unhide it and make all the good things work again.
Set-UnifiedGroup -Identity “Your team name goes here” -HiddenFromExchangeClientsEnabled:$False

IMPORTANT: The updates can take from minutes to hours (as in a few coffees)

2. Ask your users if they will be needing this functionality. if they do then create the group from Outlook desktop or Outlook web.

2.1 Now go and create a new team and select to create from an existing O365 group

Magic - everything will now work as expected. From MS Teams you can go to any channel and create an invite. In the attendees simply type the group name and it will be available. You can also send emails, forward emails etc to this group name. 

Final tip: How do I get the group email?
From your team open it in SharePoint. In SharePoint click the Team name and from there you can see the email address and even all the emails.

If You can't create meeting within team group it is really no point of creating any.... and with big groups like some I have over 100 people this realy an issue !!

This is fairly confusing. What is described also does not work for me. I'm the only one to get an invite. I don't know where the team was created, and if for this to work that has to be from inside of Outlook, then it's a pretty ridiculous flaw. 

Is there any secret weird MS way to be able to paste a list of names into the invite from within Teams? I can paste one name at a time (and then have to answer whether the person that Teams thinks I'm looking for is correct), but if I could paste multiple ones, then the problem would be if not solved, at least less severe. 

In Outlook you can, with the names or email addresses delimited by semicolons.

TEAMS is 100 years backward when it comes to basics such a inviting a TEMAS group! @mandel2019 

The workaround I follow is
1. Schedule the meeting and send only to one participant
2. Go to Outlook calendar then forward this meeting to all the Participants by copy paste attendees from previous meeting, CTRL+C and CRTL+V as easy as that.
But still this is just a workaround until MS fixes this basic issue
I can't believe that this hasn't been readjusted yet. I already voted, thanks for creating it @Par.

@Diddy974 

This is now fixed in new Teams: When you create a new Channel meeting (from the top right icon in the chat - schedule meeting) there is an option to send personal invites

MarijnSomers_0-1709297282546.png