How can I add a Profile Pic for an accont that doesn't have one?

Steel Contributor

Hi,

I posted this in the Admin community but got no responses so figured I'd try here since Teams is where we're trying to view the image.

We have a few accounts that don't have a profile picture and are just showing the Initials in the colored circle.  I went into the Admin portal and found one of the users to manually upload a photo for them.  After uploading the photo, I can click onto a different user and then click back onto the one I was editing and I see the photo I uploaded.  However, if I refresh the page and then go find the user, they no longer have the photo and are back to just their initials.

Is there some other way I can upload a photo for an account and have it stay?  Also, once I upload a picture for someone, will that eventually be their photo in everything from Outlook to Teams to anything else that's an Office 365 program?

Right now I'm trying to do this for accounts like Conference Rooms and things that aren't ever logged in to directly so I'm looking to set the image from the back end somehow.

Thanks!

3 Replies

Hm, you should be able to change it from the O365 Admin center, what you are describing seems like a bug to me. If you can reliably reproduce it definitely open a support case.

As a workaround, you can use the Azure AD blade instead. 

@Mike Boehm There is a section of this article that describes going to the Exchange Admin Center to upload images for other users. This is how I prefer to do so with new hires.

It really should work from the Office 365 Admin portal as well, but you never know with Microsoft.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/add-your-profile-photo-to-office-365-2eaf93fd-b3f1-43b9-9cd...

Yes, this profile photo will span across all Office 365 applications.

Also, I have never tried adding photos to conference room accounts, so it is possible that there might be something about those types of accounts that prevents it from working. These photos used to be stored in a SharePoint site collection for all users, so it's possible that only user accounts can have photos.

@Kevin McKeownOh cool.  I tried it the Exchange way and it seems like it actually took that time.  I see the same photo in the main admin center but not Teams yet.  I assume it takes a bit to update through all the systems.

I'll keep my eyes open though.

So glad I didn't have to open a request with Microsoft.  Mondays are bad enough as is.  ;)