How 250 people Participate in a Video Meeting

Copper Contributor

I am leading a workshop on Teams for my colleagues on Monday, May 11. I think I have figured out most of what I need for my audience.  But I have one item I can't seem to find an answer to.

I've read everywhere that 250 people can participate in a teams video meeting, yet I've also heard that only 9 people can be viewed. Is this only 9 people at any give time? The first 9 that are invited/show up? Or does this mean that as participants talk, their video image replaces someone else's?

5 Replies
The plan is that 9 video stream feature rollout will be completed by the end of May. So if you are lucky you will get it before your workshop.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?featureid=63341

It will be the 9 (currently 4) latest active speakers that is shown. So if you have more than 9 (or 4) active speakers it will be those users that said something last that are shown and this will change during your meeting if someone else say something.

@Linus Cansby 

Thank you for your quick reply. That's what I thought, but sometimes, these How-To documents online from within MS and from without don't often follow through with all the what-ifs etc.

@Linus Cansby 

Linus, One more thing. With this workshop that I am doing, can I invite my colleagues--in the organization--to a video meeting, if they are not part of a team? Because I want to create the team in the video meeting as a way of showing then how to do that? Or do they have to be part of team first?

@mhnicholas Yes, you can invite users that are not a member of your Team when you schedule a meeting. You can also invite users + channels in the same invite.

@mhnicholas Hello Marcy, in addition to Linus reply:

"We are increasing the number of participants shown on the stage to 9 and making it video optimized. For more than 9 participants, we will prioritize those with video on and show them on the stage. Participants with audio will be shown below the meeting stage. Top provide a high audio and video quality experience, the layout logic will consider user bandwidth and alter the number of videos shown to provide the best meeting experience."