SOLVED

Guest Presenter in Live Meetings

Steel Contributor

Hi all,

According to this UserVoice (https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/36613579-guest-presenter-in-te...) it should be possible to invite a guest user as a presenter in a Teams live meeting?

However when I invite a guest user, they click on the link and sign in to the Teams app with their guest account (I can see their account in Azure AD), but Teams tells them they aren't a member of any Team?

Do I have to add them to one Team?

Edit: I added one guest user to a training team we use. They were then able to join the live event. This seems really strange.  You're supposed to add every guest presenter you have to some Team?

27 Replies

Hi @Raj Krishnan we still need to invite the guest presenter to the meeting but also add him to a Team. We create a temporary Team for the meeting and add them. This still isn't great though. 

@Linus Cansby 

Hi, I found this article about the setting up the (Guest) Presenters.

GillT89_0-1593106971137.png

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/teams-live-events/plan-for-teams-live-events

We are working on setting up outside presenters as well.

This might may also be a helpful article for those following this thread. It really shouldn't be this convoluted to do this (have a Live Event with guest [outside an org] speakers, but here we are.

https://www.csgpro.com/blog/2020/03/running-a-meetup-with-microsoft-teams/

@GillT89 

This is really helpful.

I'd also like to point out that the concept of "Guest" here is misleading in the context of Presenter/Producers. 

Guests need to be invited into your organization and effectively be in your AAD.

My understanding of Guests have been like in Meetings where they can just join unauthenticated and type in their name. But that's not the same in this context.

This seems like an unnecessary step for the times where you want to just invite a guest speaker for a live event.

Hi @Mario-Longhi , yes the terminology itself is frustrating. 

@David Gorman For external participants wanted to join Teams Live Org here is my experience and still trying to find out a consistent and easy way to do this. 

1. An external participant shared external email

2. I have created a teams group and added the external participants as a member

3. Created teams live invite and invited the external participant as a presenter (I was the producer)

4. When the external participant joins the Teams Live link, their teams application will open. They will be able to see the producer's company x (guest). The external participants need to switch accounts as someone mentioned in this thread

5. When the external participant clicks on the producer's company x (guest), they will be prompted to sign in and authenticate using Microsoft Authenticator (this part is important and where some issues could occur)

6. In this process, the external participant will be prompted to scan a barbode on the screen. Therefore, the external participant will open the mobile app microsoft authenticator > top right click the plus symbol > select work/school > a picture to scan a barcode will appear on the phone > scan the barcode on the screen and completes the authentication

7. The external participant will be asked for this producer's x (guest) authentication code everytime the external participant joins the producer's company (guest) account

8. No to complicate things and possibly a separate point, I had experienced some external participants have an alias email address. This means that we have two emails for the external participant. Add both emails to the teams group and to the teams live invite. IMPORTANT: The external participant will need to sign in with the right email address to access the producer's company (guest) account

9. After the above is done and the external participant tries to access the link again, things will not work right away. Although not technically confirmed as a solution, closing teams and reopening and/or rebooting the computer few times will trigger something and they will be able to join

10. The first couple of times is not smooth but once they join once (technically) it should work after that.  PLEASE TEST TEST TEST PRIOR TO THE EVENT AND THE DAY OF THE EVENT, ask presenters to join 1 hour in advance to have time to work through any hurdle. The above may not work for everyone, but certainly is how has worked for us at the moment and in addition I will follow up with Microsoft to find out more details about how we can make this experience consistent and smooth :) Cheers. 

@Dean Chen
I have the same question. Yesterday only four of my six external presenters were able to join my Teams Live Event as presenters. I had problems with yahoo and gmail addresses - these invitees were able to join as attendees only despite being set up in advance with presenter roles. One of the presenters (with a corporate email address and o365 account) was accepting my invitation to join the event, and I was getting acceptance confirmations, but he was getting blocked somehow and unable to join at all. Where I had problems, the event was not showing on invitees Teams calendars. Is this due to a security setting from the administrator within my (school) organisation? If I’d set up a Team consisting of the presenters in advance, would this have prevented any issues?