SOLVED

Guest Presenter in Live Meetings

Steel Contributor

Hi all,

According to this UserVoice (https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/36613579-guest-presenter-in-te...) it should be possible to invite a guest user as a presenter in a Teams live meeting?

However when I invite a guest user, they click on the link and sign in to the Teams app with their guest account (I can see their account in Azure AD), but Teams tells them they aren't a member of any Team?

Do I have to add them to one Team?

Edit: I added one guest user to a training team we use. They were then able to join the live event. This seems really strange.  You're supposed to add every guest presenter you have to some Team?

27 Replies

@David Gorman I have the same problem, and when I join anonymously or when I'm in the event I don't have the option to share my screen of any other button that I should be able to see (see: 'Present in a live event in Teams' on the Microsoft site.

Hi,

If you invite an external user with an guest account in your tenant, they have to switch organisation to your organisation in Teams first and then they can join the Live Event meeting as a presenter. When you invite a guest in will say (Guest) after the name.

If you invite an external user that don't have a guest account in your tenant, then they can join your Live Event meeting without switching tenant first.

Thanks but these are just personal email accounts, they're not members of other Team tenants.

So they're both guest users but unless I add them to Team in my Tenant first, they can't just be a presenter in a Teams live meeting? Or even attend a meeting as an attendee. It's like they don't become a "proper" guest in Teams until they're added to a Team first?

I invited the user as a guest via Azure AD. They were able to register and see the app panel.

Created a test Live meeting as Org wide. They went to sign in but it kept bring them back to the sign in page.

Added their guest account to a test Team account. They could access the Team. Then they could sign into the Live meeting as a guest attende or presenter.

Am I missing something?
best response confirmed by David Gorman (Steel Contributor)
Solution

The App panel that they see is that in the Teams client? They have to get the Teams client up and running so then they need a guest account with access to a Team. Or they need to have an account that is a member of a Teams organisation, Teams free works.

To view a meeting you don't have to be signed in if you create a public event, Org-wide will require all attendees to sign in to your organisation.

Hi @Linus Cansby , thank you, that;s clarified things. I had hoped we could invite guest user who weren't a member of a Team or had to to create a free Teams account. I was hoping inviting them from Azure as guest would give them that access.

In any case I don't think Teams live events will work for our webinar/conference as it's lacking some other features but good to know what I need to do.

Thanks!

@David Gorman 

One thing I didn't see in this thread is the 24-hour waiting period from the time a Guests email is added to a Live Event to the point when they can actually login from outside the organization (this is strictly for Live Events).  We've been wrestling with Teams since the pandemic and we have found that the 24-hour period often works, regardless of whether they are registered in Azure Active Directory.  We have also found that people whose emails are registered as a Microsoft Account (maybe through Xbox or whatever), have a much easier time getting into Live Events, even outside our org. 

@Tuk_Williams interesting you just shared your experience. I am actually working with MS Premier on this issue. The MS engineer claimed and confirmed from his side that an anonymously join should work for guest account as a presenter in a live event. Unfortunately it didn't work for me.

If you don't mind, could you share with a little detail? did you make it work for guests as presenter by anonymously joining or you had to create a guest in Azure AD in advance to sign in? or both options worked for you? (by the way, I waited over 24 hours for my guest. it still didn't work for me though)

thanks!

dean

@David Gorman,

I had the same issue, it doesn't seems to be documented anywhere, but you need to invite guest presenters from Teams, just as you did. Otherwise they are not added to your organization in teams. So even if they already had Teams client they won't be able to switch to your organizations.
Well at least inviting them from Teams is enough.
I suspect simply inviting them from Azure AD does not give them access to all resource that is required for Teams guest login.

If they have a Teams account in another tenant you don't need to invite them as guests, then they can be external presenters. If they don't have an existing Teams account you have to invite them as guests.

https://www.lync.se/2020/04/live-events-external-presenters/

Hi @Linus Cansby , yes they need to be guests but they also need to be a member of a Team in your tenant also? Simply inviting them doesn't do the trick.

@David Gorman Yes, they need to be member of a Team to get the tenant switching if you are inviting them as guests. Just creating a guest account is not enough. 

Hi @Linus Cansby , that's it. It just doesn't seem intuitive. It looks like you can just "invite the user" as a guest presenter but there's a few more steps that aren't well documented. 

Tbh, it's one of the reasons we ended up using Zoom for webinars because it's more streamlined and doesn't require these steps.

@Linus Cansby,

Are you certain it is not only working with other tenant if you are "federated" with the actually tenant in question. Some companies have explicit allowed domain list for Teams federation.

I know that we had issues when the guest had a free Teams organization registered with her account.
There was no way for her to switch organizations, nor see could join as a presenter, always ended up as an attendee.

@ZsoltAsztalos If your administrator blocked some domains for federation that shouldn't stop guest access from that domain. But guest access could also be blocked for a domain and that is the case it will be problems to invite guests to a Live Event as guest presenters.

@Dean Chen 

Did you get it resolved from MS Premier support 'the anonymously join for guest account as a presenter in a live event" or what are the pre-requisites for an external invitee can be presenter in a Teams live event?

@Raj Krishnan  No. the case has been escalated to a higher level for a further investigation. According to MS Premier, they thought it was fixed but it still doesn't work in my environment. this week I did a bunch of testing and sent MS Premier another around of logs. 

According to MS support, there shouldn't be any pre-requisites to make it work.

Hope this helps.

@Dean Chen 

Thanks. I am also trying to figure out exactly as what is needed to make two external invitees in their yahoo or gmail email address as presenters in Teams live events or when one has business email address that is not linked to any azure AD tenant or have o365 account. Could you please share what worked for you and as guest presenter what you or they need do? Does the guest presenter need to have Teams license?  Does the external invitee need to create or have a Microsoft account prior to join and present in live event meeting? 

@Raj Krishnan , no it hasn't worked for me yet. According to MS support, neither Teams license needed nor a MS account needed in advance. It should work out of box but it just doesn't work for me.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by David Gorman (Steel Contributor)
Solution

The App panel that they see is that in the Teams client? They have to get the Teams client up and running so then they need a guest account with access to a Team. Or they need to have an account that is a member of a Teams organisation, Teams free works.

To view a meeting you don't have to be signed in if you create a public event, Org-wide will require all attendees to sign in to your organisation.

View solution in original post