Guest cannot join Teams Meetings unless Organizer has joined - Bug?

Brass Contributor

Normally, I could setup a Teams Meeting with setting that externals to our company do not have to wait in a lobby. This allowed guests to join the meeting before an organizer dials in. This was very helpful for situations where you wanted to create breakout rooms for workshops, trainings etc. where the host does not neccessarily join every room.

Two weeks ago I noticed, that guests can only join a meeting directly, once somebody else (e.g. host or even somebody else) is dialed in. Once somebody is dialed in and the guest joins, he or she will directly join and not wait in the lobby. So this issue seems to be unrelated to the lobby itself.

Any ideas, similiar experiences, maybe solutions :smile:?

2 Replies

@Benedikt Scheerer Hello! I've been testing the lobby settings recently, especially with anonymous users (e.g. outlook.com or gmail.com) being able to start meetings directly. All settings were OK but it just didn't seem to take effect. I did get a message saying it could take up to 24 hours, but this took longer than that.

Anyway, I get the impression you haven't changed anything and it just stopped working? It sounds as if the updated meeting policy could be the reason for what you're experiencing

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=&filters=&searchterms=63388

Hey,

That's controlled by a Teams meeting policy, have you checked the Teams admin center to see if someone changed the settings?