SOLVED

Forms Quick Poll doesn't work for guest users

Copper Contributor

I've created a Forms quick poll in a channel of a Team consisting mostly of guest users. Somehow the guest users are not able to respond to the poll. The bot replies with an error message tagging the guest user and then something in the lines of 'Something went wrong. Please try again' (in Dutch, this may not be the exact message in English). The two Team members that are in our tenant can respond to the poll. Some of the guest users have tried both using the web app (following a direct link to the channel) and the desktop app (switching tenants and navigating to the channel), both didn't work.

All the guest users have a M365 subscription within the tenant of their employer. They all use Teams in their own orgs on a daily basis. They are also able to respond to the original message containing the poll. Channel moderation is turned off. 

I have found no documentation telling me beforehand that this poll function does not work with guest users. Is it right that this doesn't work for them? Or is there any setting I might have missed? 

4 Replies
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@mwijnker 

Hi, this feature is not yet supported.  There is a Teams User Voice requesting this which you can add your vote to here - https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/599053-schools-and-universities/suggestions/40343389-all...

Guest permissions by definition are a lot more limited than full users in Teams.  Take a look at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/MicrosoftTeams/guest-experience#comparison-of-team-member-and-guest... for further information.

@PeterRising 

Thanks for your quick response! I will upvote the User Voice, although the issue is not exactly the same as mine (it talks about Quiz Assignments). 

I have read the article on guest permissions many times, since I work for a foundation that supports a national network of educational institutes and all our Teams consist mainly of guests working at those institutes. I am well aware of the general limitations of the guest user experience. The list of capabilities of members and guests on that page tells me that guests cannot 'Add apps (tabs, bots, or connectors)'. As far as my logic goes, this doesn't tell me that they cannot interact with a poll added by a member/owner (i.e.: me).  It's also not universal logic that 'can't add' also means 'can't interact', because they can interact with tabs I've added, for example.

We're very active in finding ways to use Teams to keep the collaboration in the network going in these times where our board, committees and project groups can't meet each other in real life. This not being able to logically infer what works for our Teams with guests and what not is increasingly frustrating. I get referred to the 'Guest experience' support page a lot, but in my experience, the devil is often in the details not mentioned there. 

Naturally, this is no criticism on your kind response. But if you, or anyone else, can guide me to more details about what works and what not for Teams with guests, I would be very grateful.  

@mwijnker 

I agree, there is nothing on that page that specifically says that it won't work, which is confusing.  Teams is a constantly evolving product though so we just have to wait for some features to be added sometimes.  :smile:

@PeterRising 

I agree, and I also understand that these are challenging times for the Teams development team, since the needs and demands have risen and changed greatly over the past months. My main problem is not with functions not working for guests (although I'd prefer if they would;)), but in not finding clear descriptions of that and having to find out the hard way repeatedly. But that's not what this community is for, I'll probably have to get that to Microsoft via UserVoice. 

Thanks again!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@mwijnker 

Hi, this feature is not yet supported.  There is a Teams User Voice requesting this which you can add your vote to here - https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/599053-schools-and-universities/suggestions/40343389-all...

Guest permissions by definition are a lot more limited than full users in Teams.  Take a look at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/MicrosoftTeams/guest-experience#comparison-of-team-member-and-guest... for further information.

View solution in original post