SOLVED

Find out if a specific list of email addresses are Team owners and of what Teams

Iron Contributor

Grateful for any help in helping me solve a task for my org.

The task is to find out if a group of email addresses are Team owners and of what Teams.

I could go one by one and work it out but I'd like something repeatable to run as a report based on a stakeholder providing me with a list of email addresses. 

I only have Teams admin and SharePoint admin roles.

Thanks, Darrel

4 Replies

I got the result I wanted. It might not be pretty but it works.

#Start here and change role to "Member" if want member
Connect-AzureAD

Connect-MicrosoftTeams

$Owner = 'name@yourorg.com'

$Groups = Get-AzureADUser -ObjectId $Owner | Get-AzureADUserMembership | Where-Object {$_.ObjectType -eq 'Group'}
$Results = $Groups | ForEach-Object {
  $TeamID = $_.ObjectID
  $TeamMembers = Get-TeamUser -GroupId $TeamID
  $IsOwner = $TeamMembers | Where-Object { $_.User -eq $Owner -and $_.Role -eq "Owner"}
  if ($IsOwner) {
    try {
      Get-Team -GroupID $TeamID | Select-Object -Property DisplayName, Description, Visibility, MailNickName, Classification
    }
    catch
    {}
  }
}

if (-not($Results))
{
  Write-Host "$Owner isn’t an owner/member of any Microsoft Team (depending on role you select)"
} Else {
  Write-Host $Owner
  $Results
}

@DazzaR 

best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

If you want to use the Azure AD cmdlets, Get-AzureADUserOwnedObject should be the fastest way. Best use Exchange PowerShell though:

Get-UnifiedGroup -Filter "ManagedBy -eq '$dn' -and ResourceProvisioningOptions -eq 'Team'"

where $dn is the DistinguishedName of the user you want to check against.

@Vasil Michev thanks. I've sort of muddled through part of that but couldn't get your quickest method to work. I connected to an online session with the correct role and no joy running it. Would I be correct in saying dn is the username I want to check against i.e firstname.lastname@org.com 

No, it's the DistinguishedName attribute:

$dn = (Get-Mailbox user@domain.com).DistinguishedName

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

If you want to use the Azure AD cmdlets, Get-AzureADUserOwnedObject should be the fastest way. Best use Exchange PowerShell though:

Get-UnifiedGroup -Filter "ManagedBy -eq '$dn' -and ResourceProvisioningOptions -eq 'Team'"

where $dn is the DistinguishedName of the user you want to check against.

View solution in original post