files permission for a channel in a team

Brass Contributor

i created a team called 'Team ABC' of 5 members and created 'Channel 1', 'Channel 2'.

by default all 5 members can read/write access to Channel 1 and 2 files.

How do I give read permission to 2 of the members in Channel 1 files only?

thanks

5 Replies
You need to go to the SharePoint library - library settings and from there alter with the permissions. I normally don’t recommend doing this since it’s easily get to be an administrative mess.

Adam

Hi @jrng 

This isnt recommended as Adam says.

If you did actually do that you would need to firstly remove all the Team members from Channel 1 folder and add back in individual users. At which point the permission model would be in SharePoint and not in Teams. Adding and removing users in Teams would no longer be replicated in SharePoint. If it was just access to the files that those users needed then you should create 2 teams and permission SharePoint to give read only access to those 2 users. If they need access to the channel as well and have to have read only access you are a bit stuck.

Andy

@jrng 

Just thought of a 3rd option we use a lot. Dont use the channel folders for storing Team documents. Create 2 document libraries, one for each team. Permission them accordingly and add them accordingly in the channels as tabs. Only user the default Files for attachments/images that get added to the chat. 

To be honest I never recommend companies use the default Files for formal team document management because this folder gets clogged up with images and files that have been shared in the channel in no particular order. It becomes a right mess because the default "Attach  file" to a chat chucks everything in at the top level of the folder and there is no option to file in nicely. 

@Andrew Hodges 

thanks. this suggestion is good. i will give it a test. we also will do sync sharepoint document library to file explorer.

Set guest permissions for channels in Teams Select Teams. on the left side of the app. Go to the team name and select More options. > Manage team. Select Settings > Guest permissions. Check or uncheck the permissions you want to use. Currently, you can give guests permission to create, update, or delete channels. -- Lewis