Files added to 1:N chat via paperclip message appear under Files tab, but files shared do not

Brass Contributor

In a 1:N chat, we clicked the Files tab then clicked "Share". The file was shared as an "Upload from my computer". The file appears in the conversation chat, however no one can see the shared file under the Files tab. 

Files added via a message within the chat by using the paperclip, DO appear under the Files tab in the 1:N chat.

What is the reason for the inconsistency? We are a GCC client.

3 Replies

@Annette1101 

Hi, when I try the same (both methods you describe), the file appears in the Files tab in my testing.

Not sure why you would not have the same experience.  I'm curious why you would wish to share files in this manner though.  Files in 1:1 chats are useful but I would always favour storing files within Teams as a rule of thumb.

@PeterRising 

Looks like I may need to raise a ticket with Microsoft if you are seeing your files "shared" in the Files tab and your files added via the paperclip also in the Files tab. 

There are many times we share files with folks in a 1:N chat, especially if we are not in a team together. The document I am currently working on was sharing a procedure with a small leadership group for them to share with their staff (which would be their own team), if they saw fit. There really isn't a TEAM for that to live in. In addition, we don't create TEAMS for everything. Especially if it is for a short term project. No need as most all the features are available in the 1:N chat. Is there a reason that you found that TEAMS site with channels is a better place?

@Annette1101 

OK I'm with you.  There is certainly nothing wrong with files in chats.  I just generally prefer not to use it as a go to method.  If I found myself doing this with the same group of people over a sustained period of time, then I would certainly setup a Team for this.

Given that I found this to work, and you cannot get it to work, I agree that the next logical step for you is to ask for guidance from Microsoft by opening a support ticket.