SOLVED

Feature Request: Author to be able to delete his/her/it's comment in a Chanel

Copper Contributor

Currently, only owners of a Team have the ability to delete comments in channels within a Team.  I am proposing a comment's author should have the ability to delete their own comment (not just edit the comment).  

The use case arises when there are multiple people commenting at the same time within a channel.  Frustration arises when you are in the middle of composing a comment and another author starts a new thread within the channel. When this occurs the person in the middle of composing a comment or "reply" to a specific thread is bumped.  The channel feed moves and updates but leaves the composer unsure if their reply is under the correct thread because the background thread has moved.

Once the composer hits the send or post button... I have found that a reply then is automatically posted as a new thread entirely!  Yes... even when the composer hit reply to a specific thread... When another author posts a new thread... the reply no longer posted to the thread they are replying to... but is posted as an entirely new thread. 

So... when this occurs.  People want to "delete" their comment entirely because it was intended as a reply to another thread... not a new thread altogether.  I realize that you can press edit and then delete everything and leave a single space or letter in its stead (It will not allow you to edit and level entirely blank). 

Currently, only owners of Teams are given the privilege to delete comments.  I am only asking that all users have the ability to delete only their authored comments.  You could put it right there in the three-dot options menu in the comment. 

I pray that someone sees this.  It is very needed in Teams. 

Thanks,

Aaron Olsen

6 Replies
Hi!
There is already this feature! It’s just that it’s probably disabled by the team owner in the settings. If you’re an owner, go to manage team and check user settings

Adam

Thanks Adam... looking into it now. I was told that it wasn't an option. I will look into it. 

@adam deltinger  These are the options that I am showing.  Where is this setting again?

AaronDOlsen_0-1597186666614.png

best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
You are the man... speaking with my IT Dept now... I appreciate your time and assistance. How do I give you a medal sir?
Adam, Yes it looks like my organization had the deletion of comments removed/or not toggled from the global messaging policy. Once they made the change... all users have the ability to delete coments they author. I appreciate your contribution Adam to Microsoft Community. Thanks,
Aaron Olsen
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)