SOLVED

External contact have upgraded to "Teams Only" mode but still show up as a SfB contact

Copper Contributor

One of our customers have recently changed their Coexistence mode to "Teams Only" after using Teams for some while in Island mode. But in my Teams chat client the contacts still shows the Skype logo and I am only able to send text-to-text messages (no emojis, GIFs, files etc.). Me myself is also in Teams Only coexistence mode and both parties (internal and external) gets the messages in the Teams client, but with limited functionality. It's like the contact is stuck in SfB mode. 

Also when trying to start a video og presentation meeting, an automated message is sent from the starting party to the other to join a meeting first, as if there is no functionality to start a call. When using this link another "event" so to speak is created in "recent" tab and we all of a sudden have full functionality between each other. But the contact itself don't change and still shows the icon with a Skype logo. 

12 Replies

@adam deltinger This user was upgraded yesterday. Both me and the external user have a chat window were the contact is without the Skype-symbol but it is disabled and showing "Due to org policy changes, some chat and calling features are no longer available. Continue your conversation here." Clicking the last sentence sends ut back to the old conversation with the Skype-logo. 

best response confirmed by simon_bedsys (Copper Contributor)
Solution
It can take well over 2; hours for everything to settle in! Give it some more time
Will try to do that, but what is supposed to happen with the external contact showing the Skype-logo? Even when searching for the external contact again it just pops right back to the old contact.
I'm in the same situation here, but the changes have been made 1 week ago and I still see the contacts stuck in SfB :(

@cabassisame, here , any update on this please, for others who experienced did it resolve itself over time or were additional mods made

@simon_bedsys We're having the exact same issue. Did you find a solution?

@byoung210In the customers tenant they were running in teams only mode with no restrictions but I still got this dual dialogue. Skype / Teams the only way I solved it was I had to physically sign out of my teams client and back in again and then it resolved, closing / opening wasn't enough I needed to do a full sign out / sign in. Let me know / others if that worked. The issue was also not at the customers end it was on my client.

@Bradley1610 I tried signing out of the client and signing back in. The issue persists. Tried twice even.

hi all, same for us, an external tenant was changed from island mode to teamsonly, but in our Teams Client every contact is still shown as skype user and the presence status doesn't work anymore. Federations setting was checked.

Logout and login again didn't change anything.

Any ideas?

regards

Georg

I believe you need to add the contact again to get a new "message thread". The old message thread can be hidden.

@Par Linderoth 

fixed after using the M365 admin center diagnostics tool. TLDR user had an external access policy different from every one else

1. Yes that was the issue. This user had the NoFederationAndPIC value set to their ExternalAccessPolicy Fixed with Grant-CsExternalAccessPolicy -Identity $UserPrincipalName -PolicyName $Policy.Identity (edited)

Now they are showing in Teams as Teams when looked up externally from another Teams tenant

Here is the PowerShell script/magic to fix this external access policy

# The external access policy granted to the user does not allow the user to communicate ...

# To enable the user to communicate with external users, do the following:

#     Connect to Skype for Business remote PowerShell console to manage your Teams environment. For detailed steps, see Manage Skype for Business Online with PowerShell.
#     Run the PowerShell command Get-CsExternalAccessPolicy to locate an external access policy where the parameter EnableFederationAccess is set to 'true'.
#     Run the PowerShell command Grant-CsExternalAccessPolicy to grant the external access policy found in the above step to the user.

# For more information regarding the Teams federation configuration, see Manage external access in Microsoft Teams.

Install-Module -Name MicrosoftTeams
function Grant-TeamsExternalAccessPolicy {
    param (
        [Parameter(Mandatory=$true)]
        [string]$UserName,
        [string]$Password,
        [string]$UserPrincipalName
    )

function Write-Log {
        param (
            [string]$Message,
            [string]$Color = "White"
        )
        Write-Host "$(Get-Date -Format 'yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss') - $Message" -ForegroundColor $Color
    }

# Import Teams module
    Write-Log "Importing Teams module..." -Color Yellow
    Import-Module MicrosoftTeams

# Connect to tenant
    Write-Log "Connecting to tenant..." -Color Yellow
    $SecurePassword = ConvertTo-SecureString -String $Password -AsPlainText -Force
    $Credential = New-Object -TypeName System.Management.Automation.PSCredential -ArgumentList $UserName, $SecurePassword
    Connect-MicrosoftTeams -Credential $Credential

# Find an external access policy with EnableFederationAccess set to true
    Write-Log "Searching for an external access policy with EnableFederationAccess set to 'true'..." -Color Yellow
    $Policy = Get-CsExternalAccessPolicy | Where-Object { $_.EnableFederationAccess -eq $true } | Select-Object -First 1

if ($Policy) {
        Write-Log "Found policy: $($Policy.Identity)" -Color Green
        Write-Log "Granting policy to user '$UserPrincipalName'..." -Color Yellow

# Grant the external access policy to the user
        Grant-CsExternalAccessPolicy -Identity $UserPrincipalName -PolicyName $Policy.Identity
        Write-Log "Policy granted successfully." -Color Green

# Verify the granted policy
        Write-Log "Verifying the granted policy..." -Color Yellow
        $UserPolicy = Get-CsOnlineUser -Identity $UserPrincipalName
        # $DBG
        $UserPolicy = Get-CsOnlineUser -Identity $UserPrincipalName | Select-Object -ExpandProperty ExternalAccessPolicy

if ($UserPolicy -eq $Policy.Identity) {
            Write-Log "The policy '$($Policy.Identity)' has been successfully granted to the user '$UserPrincipalName'." -Color Green
        } else {
            Write-Log "The policy grant verification failed. Please check the user's policy settings." -Color Red
        }
    } else {
        Write-Log "No external access policy with EnableFederationAccess set to 'true' was found." -Color Red
    }

# Cleanup
    Write-Log "Disconnecting from tenant..." -Color Yellow
    # Disconnect-MicrosoftTeams
}

Grant-TeamsExternalAccessPolicy -UserName "email address removed for privacy reasons" -Password "YOUR GLOBAL ADMIN PASSWORD" -UserPrincipalName "email address removed for privacy reasons"

more details

even clearing cache for Teams by removing the folder called Teams from appdata did not help

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by simon_bedsys (Copper Contributor)
Solution
It can take well over 2; hours for everything to settle in! Give it some more time

View solution in original post