Home

External access for Teams announced

Highlighted
MVP

https://blogs.office.com/en-us/2017/09/11/expand-your-collaboration-with-guest-access-in-microsoft-t...

Technical details to follow...  The article linked to in the post (https://aka.ms/GuestAcessHelp) is not available right now. I'm sure it will be by the time you read this...

35 Replies
Highlighted

Help link forwards on https://support.office.com/en-US/Teams, so far found nothing about guest access here.

Highlighted

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/enterprisemobility/2017/09/11/azure-ad-b2b-collaboration-in-micr... is similar to the previous content.

Just tried to add a new guest user to a Team (like in the video) and it couldn't find the address provided in the directory. So I guess some client updates are still rolling out.

Highlighted
So, are external users physically installing and using the "Teams" client?
Highlighted

When I get a chance to add one to a team, I'll find out... 

I tried using an external guest who is already part of an Office 365 Group that is team-enabled and was not able to sign-into teams.microsoft.com.

Highlighted

Same here. Can't find anything about how to enable guess access - certainly cannot add guests to a new Team I set up to test this. 

Highlighted

Yes, no changes on help pages

Guest.JPG

Highlighted

At least give it enough time to fully roll out and get all the articles published guys. :)

Highlighted
Not only more time for the rollout, also more information...I'm missing the configuration options we will have...do you think we will have per Team configuration? I hope so, otherwise I'm not sure I will enable this on my corporate tenant
Highlighted

I just went to my Teams and selected - check for updates, and it seem to get the latest 9/11 update fairly quickly.

Highlighted

After the update it say 9/11, and version Version 1.0.00.24351, but I don't see the the new features.  So it looks like it's still not out as of yet.  I tried online also and the new features don't show up. Is there something admin's need to turn on for the feature to be available to normal users?

Highlighted

looks like you need to add the guest first - via your azure account

>https://portal.azure.com/#blade/Microsoft_AAD_IAM/UserManagementMenuBlade/Overview/menuId/

Highlighted

I have plenty of Azure AD guest accounts (created for use with Office 365 Groups). Teams uses the same mechanism to create the guest users. The important thing here is that Teams external access only supports users with Azure AD accounts. As the announcement says:

"Later, we’ll add the ability for anyone with a Microsoft Account (MSA) to be added as a guest in Teams. If the guest doesn’t have an existing MSA, they will be directed to create a free account using their current corporate or consumer email address, such as Outlook.com or Gmail.com."

Highlighted

Here is the official how to guide - Guest access in Microsoft Teams

Highlighted

Cian, thank you

Highlighted

So far have no Guest type license in admin settings. Will wait...

Highlighted

Very exciting, I guess I'll be logging into the admin portal looking for that new guest option repeatedly for a little bit :)

-Geoff

Highlighted

Main question if we allow guest access for entire tenant and after that that's only owners responsibility whom they invite (undesirable) or we may restrict/allow guest access on team by team basis. Didn't check new help carefully, perhaps it has something about that. Will start playing when the option appears.

Highlighted

Given that Teams is built on top of Groups and that the same Azure AD guest user objects are created and used, it might be that the restrictive access you can apply to specific Groups to stop people adding external users to them will follow through to Teams. Once the code becomes available, I will test this. See https://www.petri.com/external-access-office-365-groups for details.

Highlighted

Thanks for sharing this content!

Just to follow up, the link you've listed is incorrect (you were missing a letter in the word Access). The link in the article does work and it's here

Highlighted

Yep, it was released an hour or so ago...

Highlighted

thanks @Cian Allner  for the great guide and finally for the b2b users!

Highlighted

I have trouble using Teams between to Office 365 Tenants.

Tenant A (My Company)

Tenant B (My Private Office 365 Business)

Tenant A Creates a Team and Invite a User from Tenant B.

Tenant B User got the Invite and clicked the link, Teams Website opens and asks to open Team Client. User Clicks open Teams and Teams Client asks to switch the Tenant. User click switch and Teams reloads but jumps right back to its own Tenant. If user trys to use the Web Version, site give me error with "Teams not enabled on your Tentant", but both Tentant has Teams enabled.

Highlighted

My guess is that you are experiencing a partial roll-out where one tenant has the right code to support external access and the other one has not. Give it some time...

Highlighted
So while we wait for the rollout.... does anyone know what the dependencies are on licensing here? If I share with a guest from another tenant do they need to have a Teams license over there or can they still participate in my tenant even if their site does not use Teams?
Highlighted

Juan commented earlier that some admin controls are missing. The license control for Guests hasn't arrived in my tenant yet. But everything else seems to be in order. 

Teams-Guest-Access-Configure-Guest-License.gif

Highlighted

One thing that isn't clear yet in the Capabilities comparision table tenant members vs guests, is whether guests will be able to participate in voice, video and meetings. The table says conversations and chat. But no mention of voice/video/meetings. 

That's one of the first things I'll be looking for once I have all the bits in my tenant. 

Microsoft-Teams-Guest-Access-Meetings-voice-video.jpg

Highlighted
Same here, missing on all my tenants.
Highlighted
Highlighted

Just checked and now updated to You have Microsoft Teams Version 1.0.00.25151, Now can add outside users!

Highlighted

I've posted my notes here - https://ucgeek.co/2017/09/guest-access-microsoft-teams/

It's important to note it can take a few hours from enabling Guest Access to being able to acutally use it.

Hope it helps someone.

Highlighted

i was anticipating this release and i must say im a little bit dissapointed with the user experience.

1. the external team is only avalilable through quick switching where all teams would have been great on the same platform
  2. how do you quick switch on the mobile app or get both teams noticiation from the mobile app. this is a key feature that is missing as the majority of my multipe teams connectivity is through the mobile application.
  3. when i try to quick switch it just reloads as my original account and wont switch. any ideas?
Highlighted
The switching is a little annoying, but based on my experience it's similar to how Slack works (could be wrong), so it could be tricky to make this work and probably adds a lot of overhead to the client.

Mobile apps don't appear to support switching yet.

Switching has been working for me. Maybe changes haven't filtered through yet. Try from web browser and see if you get an error about enabling the tenant.
Highlighted

Switching works fine for me. I think you just have to be patient and let all the bits get into place for Teams to work as designed. The mobile app has not been updated yet.

Highlighted
Is it possible for Guests to use the Planner? or does it take some time to work? currently guests get the message "we're not ready four you yet" after klicking a teams tab with a plan in it.
Highlighted

I don't believe that guests can use Planner because Planner does not yet support external access. When I click on the Plans tab, I am prompted to authenticate and am then brought back to my own tenant and the plans that exist there.