SOLVED

Error during teams meeting: There was a glitch and we're recovering...

Copper Contributor

Problem was first noted on Thursday 16 July 2020.

Several users have reported similar issues during Teams meetings.

When they start a meeting, initiates any sort of chat…it hangs for about 10 seconds then recovers, then when anyone says anything in chat, it hangs again …eventually, it restarts with the comment that it experienced a “glitch” and was restarting.

Happens regardless if app is on phones/computers. The devices themselves do not hang - it is only the TEAMS app.

18 Replies

@MeiLyn 

Hi, are all the devices in the same network location, or are the users working from multiple locations?

@PeterRising 

Multiple locations.

Have managed to run some additional tests with different populations.

The common issue seems to the the presence of the Meeting Chat with the Slides/Video sharing. When we don't use the combination...we don't get the glitch. 

best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@MeiLyn 

OK, so we can pretty much eliminate networking issues then.  Could be a tricky one to get to the bottom of.  As a next step,  I would recommend opening a support ticket with Microsoft to see what they have to say about it.

@PeterRising 

IKR?!
Re: support ticket
Yup did that too! Just opened a thread here in case anyone had any words of wisdom.

Thanks much!

@MeiLyn 

Cool, hopefully Microsoft will offer some insight, and perhaps someone else on here may have had this same issue and can offer more advice.  Good luck!

@PeterRising 

Quick answer: There *was* something wrong last week, they've since fixed it as of Friday, please let them know if it recurs.

@MeiLyn : I just had the same issue occur this morning, so it may not be fixed.

I have a problem which sometimes happens and today it was really bad , during the meeting it was continually freezing and then , a few times a screen would appear saying 'hold on ' then I would be disconnected from the internet. I would have to reconnect to the internet in order to rejoin the meting.
John

@MicroMag 

MS Tech gave me a PowerShell script to run which took care of the issue.

Am not on my console till tomorrow. Will then log on and attach the script here to see if it helps you.

Lyn

@dunno139 

Hey I don't know if you're still facing the problem but MS Tech reverted with a script that seems to have solved my problem(s).

Try it yourself?

Kindly open windows PowerShell run as admin on affected machine.

Kindly pest the bellow script on the same PS window :-

$VerbosePreference = "Continue"

# Force Close any Teams Process

Get-Process -Name "Teams" | Stop-Process -Force

# Get Microsoft Teams Paths

$TeamsRemovePath = @()

$TeamsRemovePath += Join-Path -Path ([Environment]::GetFolderPath('ApplicationData')) -ChildPath ("Microsoft\Teams\Cache")

$TeamsRemovePath += Join-Path -Path ([Environment]::GetFolderPath('ApplicationData')) -ChildPath ("Microsoft\Teams\databases")

$TeamsRemovePath += Join-Path -Path ([Environment]::GetFolderPath('ApplicationData')) -ChildPath ("Microsoft\Teams\IndexedDB")

$TeamsRemovePath += Join-Path -Path ([Environment]::GetFolderPath('ApplicationData')) -ChildPath ("Microsoft\Teams\Local Storage")

# Remove items

Remove-Item -Path $TeamsRemovePath -Recurse -Force -Verbose 

@MicroMag 

Kindly open windows PowerShell run as admin on affected machine.

Kindly pest the bellow script on the same PS window :-

$VerbosePreference = "Continue"

# Force Close any Teams Process

Get-Process -Name "Teams" | Stop-Process -Force

# Get Microsoft Teams Paths

$TeamsRemovePath = @()

$TeamsRemovePath += Join-Path -Path ([Environment]::GetFolderPath('ApplicationData')) -ChildPath ("Microsoft\Teams\Cache")

$TeamsRemovePath += Join-Path -Path ([Environment]::GetFolderPath('ApplicationData')) -ChildPath ("Microsoft\Teams\databases")

$TeamsRemovePath += Join-Path -Path ([Environment]::GetFolderPath('ApplicationData')) -ChildPath ("Microsoft\Teams\IndexedDB")

$TeamsRemovePath += Join-Path -Path ([Environment]::GetFolderPath('ApplicationData')) -ChildPath ("Microsoft\Teams\Local Storage")

# Remove items

Remove-Item -Path $TeamsRemovePath -Recurse -Force -Verbose 

@MicroMag 

Once again today I have had a problem which happens frequently and today it was really bad again, I was disconnected (4 times in 10 minutes ) during a half hour meeting and it was continually freezing and then the screen would appear saying 'HOLD ON Looks like something's went wrong We are trying to fix it ' then I would be disconnected from the internet. I had to reconnect to the internet in order to rejoin the meting. My question is this ( and please be honest ) Have you had experience of this and is it a Microsoft problem or should I look elsewhere for the answer . If you send me more emails please explain simply
I am 77 and looking for a quiet life
Thank You
John

@MicroMag 

Oh dear, it does look like you do have a problem.

You're not getting the same error message that I got, so perhaps it is not the same issue. I do not work for Microsoft, so I don't have the troubleshooting skills that are required to get to the root of your problem.

Would suggest you get in touch with Microsoft Support instead, and allow them to connect to your PC to see if they can solve the issue. 

There's a HELP icon at the bottom left of the Teams programme. You could start there to get their help.

Good Luck!

Lyn.

@MeiLyn 

The PS script is deleting the local cache and database.

del %appdata%\Microsoft\Teams\Cache

del %appdata%\Microsoft\Teams\databases

del %appdata%\Microsoft\Teams\IndexedDB

del "%appdata%\Microsoft\Teams\Local Storage"

This is a persistent and a menacing issue. What happens is that teams randomly freezes sometimes and then this error dialog box is shown and then the app opens up for a short while only to freeze again and show the same error and this keeps on happening until I ultimately delete the app and reinstall it then it does not happen for the day and then the next day it starts doing this again. Its now becoming much more frequent and sometimes even happens as soon as I reinstall it. These days I have to reinstall it atleast twice a day and this is making the app very annoying, I am not able to attend my online classes. As mentioned by another person above; no the users are far apart rather they are in different locations. Please , if anyone has a solution for my problem  

Hi,
I recommend you uninstall Microsoft Teams and Restart your laptop, then install it again, I have had this problem too. I also recommend that you check for updates, Here is how you do it: Right-click on double click on TEAMS, then Select Quit, then reopen it and sign in. If this does not work, then you might have to much storage on your laptop. I also recommend you free storage up
It's the same problem I had too. When I participate with my teachers in teams, it says that...
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@MeiLyn 

OK, so we can pretty much eliminate networking issues then.  Could be a tricky one to get to the bottom of.  As a next step,  I would recommend opening a support ticket with Microsoft to see what they have to say about it.

View solution in original post