SOLVED

Emergency Locations, Port Data, and physical phones

Steel Contributor

TLDR; Has anybody had any luck with Teams devices, such as a Poly CCX 400, Yealink MP56, or AudioCodes HD450 in getting location data when you have port level data defined?

I've seen this come up a couple of times, and have opened a case with Microsoft. First thing they did was point the fingers at the hardware vendors, but they all say they're just running the Teams client, so it has to be a Microsoft issue.  Setup goes something like this:

• Setup a Civic Address

$civAddress = New-CsOnlineLisCivicAddress .....

• Assign a subnet to that civic address

Set-CsOnlineLisSubnet -Subnet 1.2.3.0 -LocationId $civAddress.DefaultLocationId

• Add a location for a room at that civic address

$loc = New-CsOnlineLisLocation -CivicAddressId $civAddress.CivicAddressId -Location 'Boardroom'

• Assign a port to that location using LLDP information from the switch

Set-CsOnlineLisPort -LocationId $loc.LocationId -PortId 'Gi-0/0/14' -ChassisId 'AA-BB-CC-DD-EE-FF-'

• Plug in physical phone device (such as any of the ones listed above)
  • Dial 911 (or 933 if you have testing setup)
  • Observe phone pulls the location up for the Civic Address, and PIDF-LO data sent to the 911/933 operator (such as Intrado) is the Civic Address only.
  • Unplug physical device, and plug in laptop
  • Dial 911 (or 933 if you have testing setup)
  • Observe Teams client address shows the room information you defined earlier, and PIDF-LO data also includes that room data

So this seems like the Teams client on a Windows workstation works fine, but physical phone device does not appear to be pulling the location properly.  Anybody successfully been able to get port level location data working with physical devices?

Thanks

53 Replies

@jangliss 

@Linus Cansby may be able to give you a steer on this one

Best, Chris

@Christopher Hoard @jangliss Sorry, but I've not tested this but all I can say it is listed as supported as long as the firmware been updated (from May 2020).

Configure dynamic emergency calling - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Docs

@Linus Cansby 

Yep, but doesn't list the level of support though.  I have a case open with Microsoft, which is going very slowly, with the obvious first step being to say "did you check with <vendor>?"

Thank you and @Christopher Hoard for at least chiming in.

Wonder if @Ilya Bukshteyn@jeffschertz@Adam Jacobs  or @Carolyn Blanding (MS TEAMS) knows more details about this.

@Linus Cansby so this is about location info for Teams Phones for E911 yes?  @SandhyaRao and @Kruthika Ponnusamy thoughts?

@Ilya Bukshteyn Yes, that is correct. Thanks for answering so fast, hope that @SandhyaRao and/or @Kruthika Ponnusamy can help out with this.

@Linus Cansby this feature is not yet supported on Teams Phones, but it's coming. @SandhyaRao or @Kruthika Ponnusamy can confirm details.

@Adam Jacobs 

Thanks for the information. Is there any details documented anywhere? I'm at nearly a month on the case, and they're still going backwards and forwards with the product group and it seems like nobody has a clue.

And if @SandhyaRao or @Kruthika Ponnusamy have more details, that'd be great, I've got a couple of customers that are waiting on it, and there are legal implications with the RAY BAUM'S Act.

@Adam Jacobs The documentation here from 2020 says that it is supported on all the following clients:

• Teams desktop client for Microsoft Windows
  • Teams desktop client for Apple macOS
  • Teams mobile client for Apple iOS client version 1.0.92.2019121004 and App Store version 1.0.92 and greater
  • Teams mobile client for Android client and Google Play store version 1416/1.0.0.2019121201 and greater
  • Teams phone version 1449/1.0.94.2019110802 and greater
  • Teams Rooms version 4.4.25.0 and greater

I, too, have not been able to get Teams to recognize LLDP data, though it can discover subnets perfectly fine.

@David Hart @Adam Jacobs 

I spoke to somebody at Microsoft and got additional details on this.  Currently the port level mapping only works on the Windows Teams client.  There is an additional application that can be acquired through support for MacOS.  For other devices such as Yealink/Poly/AudioCodes phones, support is coming soon.

Are you able to get the Windows clients to correctly locate themselves? If not, I can certainly help there, I've had no issues with that.

@jangliss 

I'm working on this issue currently, Teams windows client pulls location and routes to local PSAP, but Yealink MP56 is still going out to the national ECC. 

I've provided a link to Microsofts latest release for Teams phone software, which does call out LLDP for E911 Updates. Unfortunately after updating my phones it still does not seem to make a difference. I've set up everything up to switch chassis ID#s, did not do Port ID #s. But now i'm wondering if i need to go down that rabbit hole to make this actually work?

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-teams-blog/what-s-new-for-teams-phones-march-2021/b...

@pgilbertson Yes, I saw that update as well. Initial tests after the firmware upgrade didn't hold out much hope, but I need to do some more validating and testing (a project for Monday).
@pgilbertson

I'm not sure if you noticed, but the firmware updated (122.15.0.36) which was released at the beginning of last week had 1449/1.0.94.2021022403. Microsoft released a new firmware over the last day or two 1449/1.0.94.2021033002. I'm assuming this is the firmware that has the LLDP fixes in it. I've got it rolling out to a handful of test phones to see how it plays out, including the MP56 phones.

If you have chassis IDs it should be fine to that level, assuming that's as granular as you want to get it. Double check the firmware you're on, and then retest.
Hi @pgilbertson, Could you please confirm if you found the Fix for this issue.?
@jangliss, Did you get a chance to test with version 1449/1.0.94.2021033002? Please confirm if the location displays on the phone.? I have T55A with version 1449/1.0.94.2021022403 but the location does not appear. I have the chassis ID configured and the phone logs shows its trying to call location info with Chassis Info, however the location does not appear.
Testing with Yealink T55a, T56a, and MP56, also Poly CCX 400, 600, and 700, with the latest firmware and Teams App version, I have yet to get it working. I'm still doing testing and working with our contacts at both Yealink and Poly to see if we can dig into where the issue might be.
Thank you @jangliss. Appreciate your response, please do keep posted if you crack it.

@Kruthika Ponnusamy @Ilya Bukshteyn Any input on this?  Been testing since the 1449/1.0.94.2021033002 hit the phones and not had any success, where as laptops plugged into same port resolve fine.  Opened a case 25409338 yesterday with details.

Not a good response from support today, on this "new feature".

I just wanted to inform you that Product Group has already finished their initial investigation and this has been accepted as a bug ― the product group will work on identifying the faulty code, restoring the functionality and patching it in to all branches of Office.

The engineering team will go through the process of developing, testing, and then deploying the fix globally however their is no tentative ETA for has been setup till now for fixing the issue. Once the fix is complete it will be deployed to your tenant and no further action is needed on your end.

Sounds like out the gate, they didn't even get it working right.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@JakeReed 

From my the last update from Microsoft, the next update will be in June should have fixes for the phones.

As for the MS Teams client itself, that should work assuming you have the correct information in Teams. I'd double check the values being sent in the LLDP packets to make sure you're using the right values for chassis ID and port ID.  Some switches will send extra information (TLVs) so it's important to grab the right fields.

If you connect a computer with Win10 and the Teams client on, give it some time to verify the networks. Go to Settings > Calling and see what location is showing up.  If you see a location, close the settings window, and hit ctrl+alt+shift+1. It'll dump a bunch of log files into your Downloads\ folder.  If you look at the file named "MSTeams Diagnostics <datetime>.txt" and search for chassisId, you should see what the Teams client is sending to Microsoft.  You could confirm this is what you have configured.

View solution in original post