Email Private Teams channel members

Microsoft

I have a private teams channel with about 30 members. I would like to:

1. Email all 30 members (e.g., communicate any upcoming details via email)
  2. Create an Outlook meeting invite and add all 30 members to the meeting.
  3. Manage all 30 members within Teams.

I don't want to manually enter / type each 30 individual names in the email or meeting invite -- would rather use a "@service.microsoft.com" mail address to target all 30 members.

I don't want to create a separate distribution list alias and manage that alias AND manage the members in the private Teams channel.

I know the parent Teams channel has this capability to email all members via "@service.microsoft.com" -- if we can apply this same functionality at the private Teams channel level it would make it super efficient in terms of managing members and keeping folks within the Teams platform (remove reliance on other tools for communication and membership maintenance).

2 Replies

@mjaldred 

1. Email all 30 members (e.g., communicate any upcoming details via email)
    - Why use email when you're using Teams? You can email the private channel by selecting "Get email address" from the three dots ... (More options) and you can send info in the Posts section to Outlook by selecting "Share to Outlook" from the three dots ...

2. Create an Outlook meeting invite and add all 30 members to the meeting.
    - You cannot schedule a meeting in a private channel, only use "Meet now". But you can schedule a Teams meeting and send it to the channel email address.

3. Manage all 30 members within Teams.
    - If you're the private channel owner that is your responsibility.

By the way, consider using the new feature "shared channels" as well. Can be used both internally and externally and you have the possibility to schedule meetings there and much more.

The problem here with your requirements is that Private Channels (same happens with Shared Channels) are not built on top of a Microsoft 365 Group...that's the reason why you cannot achieve the same you can with standard channels.