Email notifications don't work

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Howdy,

I have my notifications within Teams set to Banner and Email me when I get mentioned in a char or someone replies to a conversation I'm involved in.  I do get the red icon on the Teams icon in the task bar, but I do not get emails for anything.  This is not just me, they don't work for anyone at our company.

We have our Exchange server on premises so maybe that means we can't use email notifications but I wanted to see if that's the case or if maybe something is configured wrong somewhere else in the app.

Thanks!

34 Replies
Highlighted
I’m not 100% sure on the exchange on premise being the cause but however I do know that you have to be out of the app and not using the app to get an email because it takes precedence that it knows you’re using the application and will not send an email unless you were not using the app at all. Log out of the applications even mold device then have someone mention you wait the period that you have your frequency said to you and see if you get a email that way
Highlighted

Oh, well that's not ideal.  Teams is literally always running on my desk since it launches when I log in.  So that's why I never get an email?  That's a strange way to implement notifications.

Highlighted
One of the point of Teams is to reduce e-mail traffic. If your not using Teams then it'll go to e-mail. Something people have to get over if they want to use Teams. I don't understand why you would want e-mail when you have the application running on your desktop and get those notifications? :p
Highlighted

When I leave for the day, I lock my PC but don't log off.  If I check my email from home, it'd be nice to know that someone commented on something within Teams.

The notification settings screen simply says Banner and Email.  It doesn't say anything anywhere that I've found about not getting email if you have the program running on any device you use. Would be nice if that was posted somewhere.

Highlighted

It's not if it's running, it's if it's active and you are available, if your status is away by not actively using your computer you'll get an e-mail. If you aren't getting any regardless it's probably because you have to have Exchange online. But again, if you need to see comments while away, then download the mobile app.......

Anyway, if your away then it should send e-mail if you have frequency setup to soon as possible or short time. The status in Teams just has to go away for it to work. 

Highlighted

It's to easy to say.

I have never become a email from teams with a notification email. I have checked all settins -> and follow the channel. I cant remeber the last half year become a notification.

Have you become a mail in your inbox?

Highlighted

Yes, my guest user I have in a test tenant gets notifications for mentions etc to his inbox. Capture.JPG

When I tested, as long as I was away from my computer for at least 3 minutes it would send e-mail for messages sent after that 3 minute window. Now since they updated presence I don't know how long it takes for your status to time out, but Pretty sure if you wait 5 minutes without Teams activity and have someone send a message you will get an e-mail long as you have it set, and have it set to as soon as possible. 

Highlighted

Hi, i checked it out at this moment.

Banner notification wotks every time great.

Update: I think the test is usless Teams Client running at the same time on the Ipad & Iphone. :)

Highlighted
Your at your computer seeing those, which means your not away, you're not going to receive e-mail in that situation.
Highlighted

Update: I think the test is usless Teams Client running at the same time on the Ipad & Iphone. :)

Update 2: I have become E-Mail Notification on Answer to my messages.

Highlighted

Hi. This is a problem for us too. We want to have the flexibility to 'configure' email notifications. I would like, for example, to get an email 'once a day' that summarises the various channel activity that I follow. I set the notifications to once a day, but receive nothing. Many people may be too busy to monitor the banners and keep track of things, but would like a periodic summary.

This would make a massive difference if it was resolved.

Highlighted
You’ll only get a notification for that if you don’t use or login to Teams for a full day or whenever that prcoesses. The idea is to use Teams to catch-up on your read / I read conversations just like email. Only reading through Teams conversations and messages is much easier to decipher than a big email chain weeding through signatures and all the formalities of email.
Highlighted

I understand the concept of trying to get folks to move away from email as a primary form of notification, however, there needs to be a transition time. As a high-end user, I am ready to just work via MS teams, however, many of our employees are not there yet. They still need "notifications' to show up in email, even if they have teams up and active. It is a difficult habit to break, but during this time we cannot experience communication failure because "banner and email" is really only banner.

Highlighted
If you set Teams email frequency to As soon as possible, you will get e-mails as long as your not inside of Teams at the time the notifications are coming through. Least it used to work that way when I tested it months ago.

What might be happening today is because they fixed it so you don't show as away as easy while using your computer, it might be basing it off if your away or not before it starts to send those e-mails is my guess.
Highlighted

Transitioning to Teams will be a hard sell for our organization, (old and young) without having the option/capability to set up email notifications in addition to the chats received via the Teams app or online.  I'm sure that as they become accustomed to the concept of Teams communication, they will wean themselves off of the email notifications.  But that should be up to the users to decide not the vendor.  

Highlighted

HAHAHA! Come on people, this is MS. Since when do they make our lives easier. Another perfect example is Teams. Excellent idea (A+), but execution and completeness is "really?" (D-). Here is why: You create a product that is designed to take over communication and you don't integrate e-mail???????? Please explain the logic behind integrating the calendar and skype, but not e-mail!! This thread is a perfect example of why e-mail should have been integrated...and based on the dates, they really don't care. I figured that out the first time I used it. I was like, wow this is awesome and then I was like, ummm why do I need to open Outlook to check my e-mail????? It's seriously like a gas station not providing gas..how do you have a communication tool that doesn't include e-mail. Hint: Businesses don't operate like kids, in order to kill e-mail you have to integrate it first and wean the old timers off of it. Really MS???? Really?? Probably something to do with money.

Highlighted
I don't think being on prem would be an issue. Pretty sure I have seen it work for on prem users in our organization.

Personally I appreciate that Teams and Yammer hold email back if you're actively using the app.
Highlighted

The reason is simple, and it's the same for me. In a world where MOST of my communication comes via email and Outlook is on screen far more of the time than Teams, NOT getting emails when someone tries to reach me on Teams means it can be quite a long time before I discover that there's a teams message that's been waiting for me to reply. Today is a great example. Someone couldn't make it to a meeting and sent a Teams notification to the group letting us know they couldn't attend. NONE of us saw the Teams notification for nearly an hour. I don't know many people in our company who use Teams as their primary communication tool ... it's a collaboration tool. So when I'm live collaborating with someone, it's great. But when they use Teams to send me a message when I'm busy working on something else, I need something more noticeable than the existing Teams notifications to pull my attention away from what I'm doing and let me know there's something going on in Teams. I rarely miss emails, but I miss Teams messages on a regular basis. This is a problem, and if someone's design philosophy is going to pretend it isn't, then the problem will persist. 

Highlighted
Teams is a communication tool as well I’m afraid :) I think this is a adoption thing as well, if you’re working more in outlook when having implemented teams, you are doing something wrong :) Well, I get your point but at the end of the day, The notifications are there to see! The app is also a good way when getting push notifications