SOLVED

Editing "Description" for Staff, PLC or Class Teams?

Steel Contributor

We're an EDU tenant, so when creating a Team, users have 4 choices:

• Class
  • Professional Learning Community (PLC)
  • Staff
  • Other

If they choose any of the first three (which we generally advise them NOT to do, but have no control to disable/hide/remove those choices), they can enter a description when they create the Team. However, if they want to edit that description later, there is no way to do it. For example, this is the "edit" view of an "Other" team, showing the Description field:

Other-Team-Edit-Details.png

And here is the edit view of a "Staff" Team (note the missing Description field):

Staff-Team-Edit-Details.png

And here is the edit view of a "Class" Team (which shows fields NOT available when creating a Class Team, but does not show the Description field):

Class-Team-Edit-Details.png

I don't have access to the Teams admin center, but I have looked through Azure AD and found that I can view, but not edit the description there. I would assume that it's editable from some admin interface (or via PowerShell), but in keeping with the "self-service" model on which O365/M365 is built, a Team owner shouldn't need to go to an admin to change their Team's description.

9 Replies

@Chad_V_Kealey  As you've found, the current design does not allow you to change the description once the team is created. An admin can in fact change it in the Admin center but I understand that isn't what you need and will take this feedback back to our team. 

Thanks!

--Laura

Do we know when this might change and allow the owner to edit the description? I've made the following request. https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/41464603-can-t-edit-team-descr...
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@Laura_Morgan I've found a workaround - I can change description of any command (PLC,Class,Staff,Other) in MOBILE APP, even without admin role (if owner). But changes will not be saved if it is Class-command.

@lzadumkin thanks for sharing this workaround! I was very disappointed of not being able to change the team description from the desktop app, but happy to have changed it through Teams Mobile app!

I need teachers to put some specific information in the description of their already created teams that I can retrieve with powershell.   It's not practical for me to do it in admin centre as there are over 600 teams and eventually there will be around 1000.

@lzadumkin thanks! changing the description from teams apps works!

@rhiosutoyo 

We are 1 year later - It is still not possible to change the description from the client interface, and the proposed workaround (use the Mobile app) is no longer working either ...

Can we please have the ability for users to modify the description in the Teams Desktop App?

@Chad_V_Kealey 

This is almost 3 years now and what I found out recently is more complex :  

1. On MS Windows11 Teams owner still not able to edit the description.  Only admin can edit it but cannot delete it. It will show a message "Save successfully" if admin edit it but actually there is no effect at all . Owner only can do it for "Other type Teams" but not Staff/PLC/CLass

2. On Android mobile, exactly same as on MS Windows11

3. On Iphone, owner can edit for every team type!!

Talking to MS Support, they said that it is by design!!  But I don't think so since MS windows/Android/Iphone  not acting the same. Still waiting for MS Support if there is any better solution or answer.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@Laura_Morgan I've found a workaround - I can change description of any command (PLC,Class,Staff,Other) in MOBILE APP, even without admin role (if owner). But changes will not be saved if it is Class-command.

View solution in original post