Edited a document in teams and now it is lost

Copper Contributor

Hello all, 

Hope you can help me.  I sent over a document last night which was then edited by my manager, who sent be back a version in Microsoft teams with tracked changes. 

Instead of downloading it like I should have, I clicked onto the document and it opened in Teams. I  made the relevant changes in the document. However, when I return to the document in the teams chat now, it says : "Sorry, this file has been deleted or moved."

My manager has the initial file on his desktop, but any of the changes I have made (took me a long time) have gone. 

Any help would be appreciated.

2 Replies

@joshthejosh

If your manager sent the file to you via a Private Chat, it will have been stored in their OneDrive (possibly in the Microsoft Teams Chat files folder). This is the version you will of edited in the Teams editing experience. 

If the link to the file still appears in the chat, however you get the "Sorry, this file has been deleted or moved." message, your manger has moved or deleted the file since you edited it. You could ask them to check their OneDrive recycle bin, It will show-up there if it has been deleted.  Alternatively, ask them to use the "Restore your OneDrive" option (under the cog, top right), this will show all file changes in the OneDrive from yesterday, to see where the file was moved too.   

@James Mallalieu 

This was indeed the problem, thank you. You just saved me a few hours work.

I'll pass on the good deed.